Saxophone Forum

by Millertime2004
(3 posts)
10 years ago

Student Sax

I'm looking for a sax for a 10 year old playing for the first year. I found a Monique Pro and a Maxam for $300-400. I've heard the Monique are junk but would they be ok for a couple of years for a student or would the Maxam be better. Rentals are expensive. The other question is on the size, they don't say they're a student sax so would they be too big? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Student Sax

There is no 'student size' for saxophone. You'll either run into the Eb alto saxophone, or a Bb Tenor Saxophone (there are a couple more, however, that a saxophonist would run into later). Students can start on either instrument (both utilize the same fingerings and techique, so switching back and forth is simple) Beginning on the Alto or Tenor will be a matter of preference for your kid. It may be usefull to speak with his/her prospective instructor about this choice. Brands: Monique and Maxam both have very poor reputations for quality. A number of people make the assumption that such instruments would be appropriate for a couple years for a begginner, but that's mistaken thinking. Such instruments are riddled with problems and resist efforts for readjustment and repair. Such isntruments may not play in tune no matter what you try, and may sound horrible. That is not a good situation to have to learn under and it's almost gauranteed to kill youthfull enthusiasm. If you must go cheap, go used. Selmer Bundy's, while not great, are servicable and recognized by repair personel and educators and can be had for @$400 in used, playable condition. The better student line instruments are made by Yamaha, but are pricier. Conn and King also make some reputable student horns. There is so many ways to purchase a saxophone wrongly, and rightly. You may need reputable local advice

Reply To Post

1. by Millertime2004
      (3 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I was using the assumption that anything will work for a couple of years, but I can see how that isn't necessarily the best way to approach it. By student line do you mean the lower priced instruments?

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

10 years ago

I concur with the Bundy II. I've had mine for almost 25 years and I am still very happy with it even though it's not my primary horn. I suffer nothing more than the lack of a high F# when going from my Selmer III to my Bundy II. Sure, the sound and feel are different, but the Bundy II is not a sub-standard horn - only an affordable one. I'll be proud of my 50 year old Bundy II someday - just as I am proud of my 50 year old Conn 10M today. My disclaimer is that the horn needs to be in good repair. Bundy II's are very fixable, as opposed to some of the destined-to-be plant-holders and urinals passed off as saxes from China.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

10 years ago

Hi Millertime, Student-line horns can differ from pro-line instruments in a number of ways. Pro line horns tend to be better engineered and constructed. Keywork tends to be smoother and the appearance more ornate. There are many more differences that can affect playability, but in actuality they would offer new students no particular advantage over a competent student-level instrument. The best value in getting started would be to invest in a used student instrument like those mentioned above. A used Selmer Bundy or Bundy II is possibly the most economical way of getting a suitable horn and meeting a budget. Just watch out, because even then there can be lemons. Having an instructor of experienced player along for the purchase is essential

Reply To Post

2. by cavefish
      (20 posts)

10 years ago

you can buy great yts 52 tenor on ebay for around 750 or yts 23 or 52 alto for less but they are sweet and sound great .if you buy a cheap sax your kid will not be used to a good sound , he will hear a tinny dull cheap instrument and will soon be bored . music pulls your soul straight to heaven ,there is nothing like it dont wast your timeor money on cheap crud good luck

Reply To Post

3. by Millertime2004
      (3 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the useful info, it's been a big help. I've decided to find a Selmer Bundy II sax that's in good shape and a reasonable cost. Millertime

Reply To Post

1. by Alreed66
        (8 posts)

6 years ago

At this much later great date in time, the Selmer USA I have had for ten years, while a few steps up from The Bundy, purchased used at a low price, has proven to be a great value in terms of durability and playing for the money.

Reply To Post