Saxophone Forum

by cavefish
(20 posts)
20 years ago

tenor MEYER 5m mouthpiece problems

i just bought a meyer mp 5m no matter what i do or what reed i use it still sqeeks and chirps whats going on i have been using a selmer goldentone 3 and i can play soft, hard what but not with the meyer

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: tenor MEYER 5m mouthpiece problems

How long have you been playing it? Is it your first metal piece? Often when you change pieces your eoumbechure is going to to a whole bunch of change to conform to the new peice; wether it be dropping your jaw, bringing in your corners, whatever. Just give it some more time. You should really try a piece before you buy it.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

that isnt a metal piece - its rubber. use a stiffer reed - the 5 is VERY free blowing. If you can, try and exchange for a large chamber - nicer sound and will squeak less easily.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Is the mouthpiece new off the shelf? It is possible the rails and tip aren't level left to right. Play the mouthpiece to the left and right sides of your mouth to see if it makes any diference. If it does, that might help diagnose the problem. It is also possible the table curve is flattened leading up to the tip if someone worked on it previously and didn;t know what they were doing. I had to spend a couple hours with a brand new Dukoff to take care of the poor finishing of the reed surface. I would expect Meyer to be doing a better job considering the brand reputation, but who knows. Maybe they're looknig to save a buck as well... I'll use a Bari plastic reed as a convenient window to measure-adjust-measure for good contact when I'm adjusting my mouthpieces. A stiffer reed may help, too, but even a reed as soft as 2 1/2 shouldn't squeak unless it's a bum reed. If the problem is really the mouthpiece, a stiffer reed will help cover up the problem but not solve it. A poor sealing mouthpiece won't play as clearly, either. Good luck.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

Mouthpieces are checked before the dealer excepts them. I have never seen a perfect brand new piece, except for morgan pieces and other hand made pieces. they usually will be off a little, but not enough to be a problem.

Reply To Post