Saxophone Forum

by Stewart_Dreis
(12 posts)
20 years ago

Tricks for alto sax in Jazz

I'm in the 9th grade and starting my 3rd year in jazz, and improvassasion.(cheack spelling) I have learned a flutter tongue, it's kinda like a growl, and a bend. I would like to know some new tricks that are out their and what's out their. And I'm just starting on my Circular Breathing, is that a bad thing to do or what because I don't know. Please tell me how to do any tricks you might know, and put your opinion on the Circular breathing trick. Thanks for your time and replies.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Tricks for alto sax in Jazz

Ask your teacher about altissimo. Throw that in with all the other stuff you shouldn't be learning, and you'll surely be on the road to disaster before long. Just kidding. Circular breathing is a nice "trick". I just hope your illustrious teacher isn't bombarding you with too much too soon. Your statements make me very nervous for your well-being. If you don't know why you're doing it, your teacher may be teaching you the wrong things. It's not so much about the "tricks" but about how you embellish your overall musicality. On that note, I heard a junior high kid circular breathe for a minute before. I was envious.

Reply To Post

1. by cfsatb
      (11 posts)

19 years ago

find a qualified private instructor. good luck

Reply To Post

1. by A.C.O. Rob
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

"Hi. I'm new here, but I've been playing alto, tenor, sop., and flute for a while, and I think one of the most importent things to go for on any horn is tone quality. The tricks are great, but they won't do you any good if you don't have an awsome tone. I think most sax players worth there salt will tell you to listen to the masters from the 20's, Hawk, Young, Rollins, Parker, Woods and others all the way through to the young lyons of today like Kenny Garret, James Carter, Pacito DeRivera..... The list goes on and on. You will soon find things that you like from some, or all of them, and you will be on your way to developing your sound. Just remember. The more you learn, the more you will find that there is to learn. Good luck. A.C.O.Rob."

Reply To Post