Saxophone Forum

by SaxMan
(559 posts)
20 years ago

A word on alexanders

They suck!!! This everyone plays the same in the box stuff is a bunch of crap. When I got mine, 2 played, marginally and the other were unplayable - severly warped which took aobut 20 minutes to deal with all of them. The reed surfaces are all very un finished, so it takes a lot of polishing, the cane is about as good as that in Hemke's and they just dont seem to know how to cut reeds. It looks like the tip is done with a clipper - there was a bit of an over hang on one of the reeds. now trying argendonax.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: A word on alexanders

If you're such an expert, why don't you just buy blanks and finish them yourself? For all the time you spend finishing and polishing your reeds, you might as well be saving yourself a few bucks buying blanks at less than a buck a pop. You should be able to finish off a reed in the time it takes for you to type in your complaints about them. Granted, if I wanted perfect consistency, I'd learn to live happily with some particular synthetic, but the quest for a good caner is about as exciting as the quest for a good mouthpiece. I'm trying the Bari Golds right now. They're cut like a V16 instead of a traditional V-heart. Kinda nice, actually. Rather mellow compared to the traditional Bari's. On that note, the SBA I just picked up came all original - case, mouthpiece, neckstrap, registration card, catalogue - everything. Included in the case were a bunch of old Vibrator reeds - the kind with the longitudinal carvings in them. Those and about a dozen Brilhart Enduros - pencil priced at $2. I'm tempted to see how ancient reeds hold up, but on the other hand, the accessory compartment was like looking into a little museum. So I'll keep everything as it is for the next 30 years and let my kids decide to throw them in the trash. If I get the nerve to strap on one of those old Vibrators (heh heh...) I'll let you know how they play. Maybe they just don't make reeds like they used to. Kinda like the horns themselves... But I digest... Whew - what a sixer does for me after a long drive. Ahhhh......

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

...and I'll add that if you "dealt with all of them" in 20 minutes, you aren't breaking them in properly. I put two 20 minute sessions on a reed and decide in the third session if it's a dud or not. Give them a little time. Sometimes you just gotta treat 'em to a nice dinner before they'll lay down for you...

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
      (248 posts)

20 years ago

unfortunately, i have to agree with keith. i don't think much of alexanders, and they're pretty seriously overpriced. try "excell" reeds. they're pretty consstant, and play quite well.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Maniac, are you retarded? it would take at least twice as long to only take the bark off the blank as it takes to make a post like that. The 20 mintues was to get them to play at all - deal with the warping. And either way, you can tell whether a reed is going to suck or not after about 10. And BTW, those vibrators are excellent, thats what I use on my C melody, they are one of the best reeds I have ver played with a consistancy of about 4 out of 5, and ALL play. Sometimes I wil put one on my alto just for kicks, but it kind of deadens it a bit with the reed being designed for a longer facing, sounds good, just not as brilliant. I bought about 50 or 60 of those, best money I have ever spent besides my III... Caleb, I will have to try those, Argendonax is shipping me a couple samples - I am going to try those first before I buy anything more, hopefully there will be such thing as a good reed that wasn't a minority... I am starting to consider going to a darker mouthpiece then going to a brighter reed that will be more consistant with more reed cut off.

Reply To Post

1. by Skoolboi
          (9 posts)

20 years ago

I agree. alexzander cant cut reeds. They are consistent, yet go way off in qulity on a few reads. The can is vars region, but seems a little, well, weird. I bought a box from wwbw and they were phenominal, and i bouihgt a box from rebertos and they were crap. Dunno if there is anything there. Those are my thoughts

Reply To Post

2. by BreckerBrothersaregods!
          (23 posts)

20 years ago

I think there might be somethig there - the box i got from wwbw once was excellent but then the box i got from weinermusic sucked. I dont know, man. something is up! haha. jk. bu the boxes were different and continue to be like that from both companies - that is why i tried saxquest's alexanders - good stuff! just thought id let you know you arent the only one going crazy with that stuff.

Reply To Post AIM