Saxophone Forum

by thattenorplayer
(18 posts)
10 years ago

help looking for neutral mouthpiece

hey I'm about to enter high school this fall, and i need a mouthpiece that can switch from marching to jazz to concert. would a selmer soloist do the trick? thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

10 years ago

Re: help looking for neutral mouthpiece

For alto, A selmer soloist E may indeed to the trick. It's a very versitile piece.

Reply To Post

1. by thattenorplayer
      (18 posts)

10 years ago

opps, ya i ment to say i'm playin tenor, would a soloist c* work? also keep in mind my price range is about 50$-about 150$ thanks i'm tired, i'm goin to bed

Reply To Post

(767 posts)

10 years ago

I haven't tried Soloist for Tenor, but most describe the C* tenor opening as too closed. Try some out for yourself, if you can. I do have a Selmer tenor MPC myself in 'E'. I find it's neither too open nor closed.

Reply To Post

1. by thattenorplayer
          (18 posts)

10 years ago

thanks, i'll try em. for right now do you know how to fix a crack on the shank of the mouthpiece? my cs80 has a crack in it. thanksl, thattenorplayer

Reply To Post

2. by ozzy2212ozzy
        (6 posts)

10 years ago

i have 4 Mp's none of which have been mentioned here, but beleive it or not i play on a esprit mouthpiece almost year round, they are inexpensive, and i found it to have nice tone, they are avalibale at

Reply To Post

(767 posts)

10 years ago

Incidently, I do now own a Soloist E on tenor and I'd say it's a very flexible piece. I like the sound of the Metal Selmer for concert work better, but the soloist is a bit less fussy about the reed, is fairly dark, responds nicely, and projects well enough.

Reply To Post

1. by thattenorplayer
            (18 posts)

10 years ago

thanks for the help everyone, i found out that i can't play the tenor (or even the sax for that matter) for concert season at my school so i just bought a berg larsen 95/2, some might think its narrow but its perfect for me. instead of playing sax i'm trying to learn the basson cause its pretty much the only thing w/an openning. thanks for the help thattenorplayer

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
              (48 posts)

9 years ago

Truth is, there is no universal mouthpiece. A jazz piece in a concert band will stick out and a classical piece in a jazz band won't project. The idea isn't to play loud but blend and sound good.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

9 years ago

A Selmer metal jazz C* isn't the most "lead" mouthpiece, but projects plenty well. With a bell mute, the piece suffices for legit. In fact, they respond so quickly that they are great for passages requiring quick articulation.

Reply To Post

3. by tembysaxguy
              (5 posts)

9 years ago

Get an Otto Link Tone Edge Hard rubber mouthpiece- sounds great for jazz and concert band sort of stuff I have one and along with a Vandoren Optimum lig. its the way to go

Reply To Post