Saxophone Forum

by Skoolboi
(9 posts)
20 years ago

Classical Piece

I;m bored and need a challaging classical piece to play. Please post your favorite piece to play, that is classical. Make sure it is challaging but not impossible for a highschooler. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Classical Piece

The Glasunov Concerto. It's probably more suited for a college student becuase of the refinement and detail that commonly gets overlooked, but a good high school player could play it.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

20 years ago

The Gurewich Concerto. It probably a college level piece. Although, my friend played it on alto sax -- and he's in 8th grade. But he's unrealistic talented and his dad is one of the best saxophonists in Wyoming! Give it a shot; it's an awesome song!!!!

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
      (55 posts)

20 years ago

I've got 2 for you: Aria by Bozza Aeolian Song by Warren Benson They are both very, slow and require stamina and control. If you play these at the right speeds you will feel as though you have run a marathon. Each is for Alto and Piano. The Benson piece may be out of print. Let me know, I'll send you a copy. Its beautiful. And as we all know since this individual is interested in learning a new piece of music for purely educational purposes no copyright laws are being broken should a copy be made to serve that end.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

Wes miller, I commend you, I couldn't really think of anything to recomend, but aria is PERFECT for his situation. I also thought of another, Mazurka from the larry teal collection. BTW, if a piece is out of print, it isn't illegal to copy.

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Ya never can be too careful.

Reply To Post

2. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

IT IS PUBLISHED (wahoo). Concertino By Warren Benson for Alto Saxophone and Wind Ensemble (available in piano reduction). Is a 3 mvt work (the second mvt is Aeolian Song) Published by Theodore Presser and Co. Bryn Mawr, PA 19010. I was teaching today; looking up some music and saw that. I bought it in December because I knew that Aeolian Song a sa stand alone is out of print. Oops. Oh well. There you have it. And, its cheap: mine was $12.50.

Reply To Post

2. by saxybrew
        (2 posts)

20 years ago

Here's two more pieces for you to try, "Particles" -- Armand Russell "Introduction and Samba" -- Maurice C. Whitney Both of these pieces have their challenges, but aren't too difficult, and they're just plain 'fun' to play! good luck!

Reply To Post

3. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

Hey wesmiller, Could you please send me a copy of both of the pieces you mentioned (Aria by Bozza and Aeolian Song) to [email protected]. Thank you! I would appreciate this greatly!

Reply To Post

1. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Hi Kitch: I would like to but to be honest that is illegal. I thought the Benson was out of print, then found you can buy it. The Aria by Eugene Bozza is published by Leduc. Neither of these pieces is very expensive. Again, sorry I can't send it to you and I know it seems unfair. But, without composers, publishers , and printers we would'nt have any music to play. Its also a good idea to have the originals should you take these to a contest or audition. The address to order the benson is above. Sincerely, Wes

Reply To Post

1. by a2g_cnaz
            (4 posts)

19 years ago

there is a peice im working on called Scaramouche by Darious Milhaud, ive got most of it down. Its about a six, and Im in 10th grade so you might not have alot of problems. also check out some handel sonatas if you like baroque.

Reply To Post