Saxophone Forum

by Spunky2sax75
(75 posts)
20 years ago

Early Conn Saxophones

I am looking at buying an old Conn soprano. I heard that it was from 1914, but I'm not sure if that is true or not. It says on the side... PATD. Dec 8, 1914 1119954 S 129749 L I know what the S and L stand for, but I`m not sure about much of anything else. If anyone has any information or knowledge of what this stuff means and if it is, in fact, from 1914, I would love to hear more about it so I know what I`m buying. Thanks for any info you might have.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Early Conn Saxophones

PATD I believe is patented, which would be when the Conn name was established. So that could be when the company started, not when the sax was made. It may have been interpreted wrong by the owner. But don't go give the owner crap about it, because I may be wrong. THe other numbers are most likely just product numbers. They're like ID numbers that tell which one it is and what number it was in the assembly line(If they made them with assembly lines...hell if I know.)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

www.drrick.com/conn.html that's one chart... there are a few more out there. Try doing a google search for "conn serial numbers" and see what you come up with. good luck!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks guys... I think that the soprano was from 1924... that is the year when the serial date matches, so maybe its right. Thanks for your help.

Reply To Post