Saxophone Forum

by justabandgrl
(12 posts)
20 years ago

Colleges with good music programs

HI, I can't seem to have enough questions. I've skimmed through the rest of the forums and I can't seem to find this question so here it goes. I want to take up the sax for life and so I want to go to a college with an awesome music program. Any suggestions, all I know is that Julliard is really good, but very hard to get into.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by 5fingercurveball
    (11 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Colleges with good music programs

Going to a college with a good music program should be fine for you, but you have to watch out...those places can be factories. Colleges, ultimately, see you as an investment - they hope that you'll succeed and give a lot of money back to them. Lots of music schools, therefore, end up producing "poppy" jazz musicians who'll end up making a lot of money "playing to the crowd." It's their hope these musicians will give back to their schools. I didn't go to a school with a great music program, but I've found two great teachers, and for me, that's enough. Musical expression is something that can only be taught to a limited basis. Once you've got the jazz theory (which you can readily aquire from books), the rest is up to you. Three keys to musical success: 1) Find a mentor 2) Lock yourself in a room and practice for hours on end 3) Listen, listen, listen

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

ummm not to be a asshole... but where are you from and what type of school are you looking for? IE, something affordable or something to drool over? and my .02 I think that most any hobby (I'm going to call it this for now) can be learned on your own. I feel that no one can teach you scales, fundementals, or the general issues of playing your horn. If you can't get into a "good" program, just go to a school that's decent and get your foot in the door. Then pratice your ass off and work hard at it (do this anyway) blah, it's 5 and I can't think anymore... but I did have a point somewhere in that mess of words.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Woah whoah whoah, chamiac, you feel "no one can teach you scales, fundementalsm or he general issues of playing your horn"? And why not? If a teacher doesn't teach you your cales, fundementals, or the general issues of playing your horn, I would say you've gone and wasted your damn money. Maybe it IS because it's 5 in the morning, but I just don't see where you get that.

Reply To Post

2. by justabandgrl
      (12 posts)

20 years ago

well to answer your questions, I'm from Fairfield CA and yea, I'd like something affordable, cuz it's true, you don't need some fancy expensive college. But I'm just looking for something that has a notable music program, not necessiarily Ivy league or anything. I'm happy with UC. I've recently decided to become a full time musician so I have to work my ass off anyway no matter where I decide to go, just some sugestions is all.

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

I recall a discussion about this I think chamiac started, but it may have been someone else, but I think it was in the Jazz Sax forum.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Correction, it was by Hexaclon, in the Jazz Forum. saxquest.com/forumThreadView.asp?ForumUID=8&ThreadUID=1511

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

actually I forgot to ask you a really important thing... Sorry about that. Are you cute and single? Cause if you are the U of M has a really good music program. (it's also right by me... but that's beside the point) Or actually, nearly any metro mpls/stpaul college has a good music program... =)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

3. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

nonononononnoonno, go to the university of northern iowa in cedar falls!(not that i'm goin there next year or anything, haha) They have a sweet music programme, especially jazz.

Reply To Post

4. by justabandgrl
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

haha, weeeeeel, im single but im not in the market currently for a bf (or a sax for that matter). But anyways i was looking in a college book that i found and it said that Wheaton College in IL had a rather large amount of ppl majoring in music, etc, and then the U of the Pacific has made a note of their music program. Florida A&M has a hot musical scene as well so ive heard. Any thoughts?

Reply To Post AIM

5. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Well if you go to Illinois for music, go to Millikan University. And Florida State has Bunky Green, most likely the best and definetly most renoun jazz educator alive today, so look into there too.

Reply To Post

6. by Bibimbop
          (53 posts)

20 years ago

Depends alot on what you want to get into. Are you going for performance or education (or neither)? Are you looking for a more classicly oriented program, or do you want something that's jazz heavy, or a combination of the both of them? There are many avenues to explore when finding a college that suites you well. I understand that money is an issue, but there are always scholarships and student loans. Here are some schools that I feel have a good program: Lawrence University (Wisconsin, small, private but has an excellent sax studio) University of Indiana Bowling Green State University University of Michigan Michigan State University Louisiana State University University of North Texas of course there are many more, but really it comes down to what you need in a school to be successful. There are many great schools with great saxophone programs you just have to find the school that's right for you. Many schools have studio web pages. Check out www.saxalliance.org/memberlinks.html you can look at professors web pages and some of there studio pages. Most of all, talk to the professors yourself. Most professors are more than willing to talk to potential students. Good Luck!!!

Reply To Post

7. by justabandgrl
          (12 posts)

20 years ago

mmmm, thanks. Personally, I don't really know what field to get into except that I'd much rather be a performer than a teacher. But uh, I love jazz and want to get better at that as well as stick with my legit roots. Money isn't THAT big of a deal, but I mean theres no way I'm going to Juliard or something without a scolarship I can tell ya that. But I've got a long while to think about what I'm going to do, I mean I've got 3 years more of High School, so I'm good for now. I just wanted to get to know my options a little better.

Reply To Post AIM

8. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

20 years ago

More good studios Crane School of Music Manhattan School of Music Scheidt School of Music (U of Memphis)

Reply To Post

9. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Are you serious? You think IU has a good music program? Did you go to their last jazz festival? I didn't think their Jazz Ensemble was very good. I picked up on of their CDs and wasn't too impressed either. It seemed like all their soloists followed was patterns. Where is Bowling Green University at? I think I might know the place.

Reply To Post

10. by phathorn
          (165 posts)

20 years ago

Indiana has one of the top music programs in the country. Music schools are based on more than their jazz ensemble. Otis Murphy is one of the top classical performers/instructors alive right now. Bowling Green has a very solid instructor in John Sampen. He tends to be cutting edge insofar as literature is concerned. If it's new and weird, he's probably one of the first to play it=)

Reply To Post

11. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

*off the subject.... “It seemed like all their soloists followed was patterns." This isn't jazz, in fact it's boring to listen to. IMHO a solo comes from the soul, from the heart, from your personality. NOT from scales and patterns that are memorized and played in every key. Yes, those can impress other players, but it will do diddley shit for an audience. but that's just my opinon.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

12. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Right chamiac, that's what I was saying. And where is Bowling Green exactly? Not Bowling Green Indiana, is it?

Reply To Post

13. by Bibimbop
          (53 posts)

20 years ago

Bowling Green, OH It's a smaller school, but their College of Mucisal Arts is exceptional. They've produced many fine saxophonists, and John Sampen is one of the leading artist/researchers in saxophone today. Otis Murphy is a great player as well. One thing I did when I started to look for schools to attend for college was look at many faculty bios and look at were they went to school. You start to see trends and it helped narrow my search a bit.

Reply To Post

14. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

not looking for a boyfriend eh... o well the other guy was 22 and atleast im within ur age range but what u say is what u say anyway back to the topic Berklee is great i dont know julliard is awesome but i think jazz at berklee is better, im just sayin... New School University is also very good NYU is great too especially in sax Julliard of course Rutgers is great Eastman is a wonderful school i just did there summer program it was intense University of maryland is also getting very good maybe because its near me, maybe because of chris vadala but you know thats my 2 dollars and 35 cents

Reply To Post

15. by SATBSaxRH
          (11 posts)

20 years ago

Actually, Julliard does not have a established saxophone program. Certainly, for students really wanting to consider careers in saxophone, Julliard is definitely not a choice. Peabody Institute and Eastman are two really good choices. Although in recent years, Peabody has revived its program (actually in the 90s). Previously, Peabody enjoyed equal status with Eastman (although they were not as well publicized, especially do to Eastman's Fennell) but now, I know their sax instructor Gary Louie has a good program. University of Michigan is also a good choice, with TimMcAllister as their new professor (unfortunately Don Sinta has retired). Rutgers and NYU are not very good choices. Another good choice would be to consider Ithaca College, with Steve Mauk instructing, it is a strong program. Northwestern is also a good choice.These are some of the more well known sax studios, but mostly, it depends on your preference (Jazz or Classical, campus, or whatever) to narrow it down from this group of colleges. Another one that comes to mind is LSU, they have a wonderful sax program.

Reply To Post

16. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

How come no one else has mentioned Bunky Green at Florida State?

Reply To Post

17. by wesmiller
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

Concerning John Sampen. I spent 5 years studying with him. He has my complete respect. He is driven, motivated, a workaholic. He expects his students to reach the goals that they set for themselves. If they fail to reach those goals they had better be prepared to explain themselves. He teaches more than just the saxophone; he also teaches his students how to promote themselves and survive in the real world. Obviously, my opinion is jaded in this matter. But, what I have stated here is fact. For more information contact him through the Bowling Green State University website (Ohio). WM

Reply To Post