Saxophone Forum

by justabandgrl
(12 posts)
20 years ago

neck trouble

I have had a Keilworth ST 90 for about 6 years now and it hasn't given me any serious trouble. But for the past two years, the neck has been uping me an octave when I play regualr B A G on the staff. The problem is fixable when I just turn the neck and mouthpiece to the right a little. It makes for an odd angle, but the sax plays fine as long as I turn it. The problem is just annoying, and it's much harder playing with an angle. My friend said it was fixable because he had the same problem, and if I sent it in it would cost me a few hundred bux, and that I dont have. Is there some way to mannually fix it? Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me what it is exactly?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: neck trouble

200 bucks for that are you kidding me?!? this is probably one of the MOST gorilla like repairs in saxophone repairs other than dents and bent bells. The problem is that, either your upper octave key actuator or the the actual octave key itself is bent, if it is the actuator, you would want to take it to a tech to bend it right, its REALLY hard to bend, and easily screwed up, not just the pin, but the whole damn mechanism. if it is the octave key, bend the tennon end of the key to the right slightly, untill it is just next to the actuator at the normal position. 200 bucks is a rip off, that would imply about three and a half hours of work, longer than the time for an entire repad.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: neck trouble

It could also be the octave mechanism on your neck is a little bent out of position - probably running into the actuator on the body of the horn. By rotating the neck, you're likely adjusting the position of the neck octave ring relative to the actuator. I'm a gambling man and I 've repaired my share of horns, but if it were me, I'd just muscle the octave piece on the neck enough so that it doesn't quite come into contact with the actuator. Make sure you're using your body end cap when it's in storage. A bent actuator can be a pain in the ass! If your problem isn't with the neck mechanism, the body vent problems are too difficult to solve via discussion board. Sorry.

Reply To Post