Saxophone Forum

by mamagarvo
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Suggestions, please, for Marching Band Tenor

I'm the mother of a college student who plays his "good" tenor (Series III) in his college jazz band and concert band. He needs a used tenor to play in the marching band - one that is durable, loud, and good enough to satisfy yet cheap enough to beat up a little in this type of use. Will the experts give me their suggestions on brand and style? Also, what to avoid?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Suggestions, please, for Marching Band Tenor

The worst thing to avoid, you're allready avoiding; which is to not take the nice, pro horn outside. I would recommend a used Selmer "Bundy" Tenor. They're relatively cheap, plentiful, every technician is familiar with them, and they have very rugged mechanisms. The alternative would be poor quality chineese/tiawanese horns that I wouldn't recommend for several reasons: 1) they're typically fragile, 2) they often won't play in tune, 3) they have no resale value for when your son is completely done with marching.

Reply To Post

1. by cyber75sax
      (33 posts)

20 years ago

Yamahas are great, too. They use a fairly heavy metal and they're built like a tank. We use Yamahas for military marching band, in any kind of weather.

Reply To Post

2. by mamagarvo
      (2 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion. I have one more "uninformed mother" question - what is the difference between a selmer bundy and a selmer bundy II ? I have seen both listed for sale (used) and don't know if they have any structural or repair "issue" differences. Sorry to bother the board with such unprofessional saxophone questions!

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

The Bundy II just has a few more modern features strucure wise. Different materials and a few different mechanisms. If it isn't much more than the Bundy I, get it, but if it's out of your range for a cheap horn, don't worry about it.

Reply To Post

1. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

woah woah woah! look and see if you're dealing with the bundy special. if anyone's selling one in good condition for less than a bundy II, buy it, and laugh at them. the bundy special, although stamped "selmer" was actually produced by keilwerth, and is a semi pro horn. they aren't nearly as durable as the Bundy II, but have great tone respone and action. as for what horn to buy, i would strongly recomend a vito. i won't take anything else with me into battle, i mean pep band ;)

Reply To Post

2. by spottspidermunki
          (55 posts)

20 years ago

i'm currently in marching band, and i recommend used yamahas, bundys, bueschers, and especially conns. my school has an old 1960's shooting star conn. it looks terrible, but it can withstand nuclear holocaust. it can take asphalt, extreme weather temps, bleachers, accidental hard bumps, horn knocks, dropping from waist-level onto pavemant, anything. it projects well, and the key-action feels better than a yamaha we own also. when i attend the University of Alabama next year, i will take a Conn, hands-down. just as long as u get an older model. i'd say from late 70's back. if ur buying this horn in town, or at least at a store, then have ur son check the horns out, and play all the horns that appeal to him. if he's been playing for awhile, he should be able to tell whats built solid and plays nicely. jus don't let the amount of finish on the horn be a deciding factor. Joel ps. you are extremely informed for a curious mother. i've seen waay worse questions on here from people that have been playing for a good while. congrats ;)

Reply To Post AIM