Saxophone Forum

by shermund
(6 posts)
20 years ago

Armstrong Alto And Yamaha YAS-21, which is better? pls help!!!!!

hmm.... i have no idea bout armstrong saxes... but i heard tat 21 is as good as 23.... so.... i cant make up my mind... and anyone tell me the details of these saxes?? hmm... the price, quality, reliability, value... pls help!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Armstrong Alto And Yamaha YAS-21, which is better? pls help!!!!!

I've never heard of Armstrong saxes either, but I do know that 21's and 23's aren't that good. They're beginner saxophones. Though I think that's what I started out with a long time ago, and I do remember it held together very well, and was dependable, despite thte not so great action, response and tone. But then again, if you're good enough, you can make about any sax sound good. If I were you, I would go for the yamaha, becuase it's well know, dependable, and fairly affordable. Armstrong must be and off brand. Besides, Armstrong played a damn trumpet!!! I can't remember how much the 23's are, but it's in between 1 and 2 grand.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Well.. are you going to begin playing, cause both of these instruments are studen saxes. If you are going to start I recomend you buy a used student sax. I belive there is no point buying a NEW student sax. After all, you will need a better horn after 2 or 3 years. But if you have to chose betwen the armstrong and the yamaha, I say the armstrong good cuality instrument, sounds good and they're more cheap than yamahas in a economic way. Just my opinio. Hope I helped Peace, Love and Music

Reply To Post AIM

1. by shermund
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

tats wat i thought too.... hoping to get one below 250 bucks.... its used.. but i'm happy wif it.... the yamaha is simply too old for me..... hmm.... so u tried on it be4 and u think tat its good copare to the other studen saxes???

Reply To Post

2. by shermund
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

tats wat i thought too.... hoping to get one below 250 bucks.... its used.. but i'm happy wif it.... the yamaha is simply too old for me..... hmm.... so u tried on it be4 and u think tat its good copare to the other studen saxes???

Reply To Post

3. by shermund
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

Reply To Post

4. by shermund
        (6 posts)

20 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by shermund
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

The 23 is junk, the 21 however is a different story - it is better than the 62 AND 82 by far, or any other model that has been produced by yamaha in the last 15 years. Depending on which armstrong you get, it can be the same or just a tad behind. I played a friends armstrong for a considerable while earlier this year, it had rolled toneholes, a high F# key (which is useless, but hey im marketing here.) a couple adjustment screws that I have only ever seen on selmer saxes, that really are a nice feature instead of uselss like the mess of screws yamaha puts on theirs. The sax was also quite durable looking, with solder instead of glue like yamaha puts on their modern stuff. (I am talking solder in the amounts that selmer USA uses.) My only gripe was that the touches were way the hell deep, and the octave key was kind of stiff, both of which are minor problems. I would call it a draw between the 21 and armstrong, I would buy depending on condition and regulation. the 23 for me would be completely out of the picture.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, the 23 does suck, but the 21 better than any yamaha in the past 15 years? Let's get real. The custom's? The 875 EX? That's a pretty good horn. Sure's hell better than the 21. There's also the 62II which I personally don't like, but I would still admit it's better than the 21.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

Well I had forgotton about the 875 ex, I have never actually played one, but the customs I played were just dreadful...they had such a greasy tone that weather proofed my ears, I was playing on my crap s-80, but the S-80 has never made me sound like that before on anyother sax, the s-80 has always sounded bad no doubt, but it was kind of more of a bright edgy sound. And the 62II for me was too bright and too cold.

Reply To Post

2. by saxmaniac
            (19 posts)

20 years ago

go for the gold, get a selmer buddy

Reply To Post