Saxophone Forum

by saxmaniac
(19 posts)
20 years ago

Vandoren?

I've heard some good things about vandoren optimum mpcs, has anyone tried them? whats the sound like?

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bibimbop
    (53 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Vandoren?

I use a Vandoren Optimum AL4, and I have to say that I'm absolutely in love with it! The sound is warmer than the traditional Vandorens, and the mouthpiece itself has great consistancy, intonation is better than any piece I've ever player, and the articulation I feel is much cleaner than the traditional Vandorens. The only beef I'm having with it is that the high notes in the palm keys tend to get bright and sometimes harsh. Part of that is that the mouthpiece has so much power behind it at first it can be overblown. The mouthpiece has a fair amount of resistance on it, similiar to a Teal in my opinion. They're definitly worth a try. Just a side note; Otis Murphy switched to the Optimum as well as Dr. Steve Stusek at UNCG

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

I have and like the Vandoren AL3 for Classical alto playing. I find it dark, warm, with effortless tone production. Colouring the tone is quite easy, and you can actually reach a respectable volume with it as well as play low and soft. The only trouble is that it demands a harder reed and I've noticed that a favorite classical reed of mine, the Hemke, makes it sound almost Berg-like. Go figure.

1. by saxmaniac
        (19 posts)

20 years ago

Cool, thanks. I'll definitely give both the 3 and the 4 a go, probably from wwbw since the music stores here in vegas are aimed toward beginners. Thanks for the advice!