Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
20 years ago

How to growl . . .

I'd like to know how to growl. I play alto sax in a jazz band and have numerous solos that it would work great with. Are there notes that it works better with and not others? Tell me all you know, thanx!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

20 years ago

Re: How to growl . . .

I used to made the sound in my throat... it did the trick for me. people seemed to like it.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Spunky2sax75
      (75 posts)

20 years ago

The best way I can explain it is to say "argggghhhh" in your throat while you play. It takes a while to get used to how you have to do it, but you will get the hang of it. Try making the sound before you play, the playing and making it, thats the best way to get started. It doesn't come easy, but you will eventually be able to do it. Its the easiest in the middle range... the higher and lower notes are tougher to growl on, but if you practice it, you will be able to do it eventually. Good luck with it and BE PATIENT, I have been working on mine for months and it still isn't perfect.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Some people actually sort of growl different note into the horn while playin a note. The way I do it is sort of like a gargle(but without all the stuff coming up!), gargling the back of your tounge against the back top part of your mouth. I think it's called the soft pallete. I also find it works best on the middle range to lower notes. On higher notes it's possible, but not as distinctive. I like it best on middle B or Bb(alto). There was another post on this with a whole bunch of replies a while ago. Try scrolling down or going a page back.

Reply To Post

2. by SomeTenorKid
      (1 post)

20 years ago

All you have to do is hum into your instrument. It works better when you hum 3 notes above the note your playing. It's kind of hard at first, like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time. Took me about a week to be able to acomplish the growl. Hope it works for you.

Reply To Post