Saxophone Forum

by Spunky2sax75
(75 posts)
20 years ago

Going to Metal MP

I play lead alto in my high schools jazz band, and I have been playing on a Selmer C* for a while now, but my director wants to get me a metal mouthpiece for more sund. The money is coming out of my school, so I don't care how expensive it is haha. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas for good metal mouthpieces to look into that will still let me play out and not sound like crap. Thanx for any suggestions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Going to Metal MP

I personally like the old new york style otto links. A lot of people don't like them though, becuase they take so much air, but I love the sound. I sort of like the older ones better, though there's some great new ones. Try some Berg Larson pieces. Vandoren's making decent metal piece now too. Also, a while back I tried a Phil Barone mouthpiece on my tenor... I got a trial from wwbw(idiots, in my opinion)but the mouthpiece was really good. I hadn't heard of the name before, but I was pleased with it. I just don't like metal pieces on alto a lot. There's some great metal players on alto (Brecker, Gordon) but I just think it sounds way better on tenor. It's easy to get that Kenny G sound that you don't want.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

" I just don't like metal pieces on alto a lot." yeah, take a look at some good hard rubber jazz pieces also. It may be cheaper and better, and why limit yourself to just metal? ps, what sound are you going for?

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by mazedull
      (6 posts)

20 years ago

whats up guys, hey golferguy, curious as to why you believe wwbw folks to be idiots?? (am close to ordering from them)

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

I really like Vandoren's Jumbo Java mouthpieces. Very bright and edgy without the consistency/reliability issues of a Dukoff silverite piece. And it's hard rubber, so a little friendlier on the teeth. I play an A55 which is on the more open side of things. A person jumping from a C* to an A55 would require some time to adjust. An A35 would be a safer bet for people used to standard facings. It would still have all of the sound characteristics your teacher is looking for.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Oh. I've heard stories about WWBW goofing things up, but I made a relatively complex order a couple months ago (about 20 different accessories - no horns) and everything came exactly as I ordered it in just a couple days. I had no problems at all and will use them again if I can get over the guilt of not supporting my local music store.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, they're usually alright, they've just totally pissed me off lately about some stuff I ordered. They don't keep the item I ordered in stock regularly and didn't find it important to tell me this. Anyway, I ordered a month ago and item that it was very imperitive that I had by the 3rd of July at the very latest. Well, it said it shipped in 5-6 days, and that was a month ago. It's not coming until the 14th of July, and I'm not goin to have it when I travel about 200 miles out to play for a week. And the final straw that made me snap on them, is that they are still making me pay the damn shipping. AAHHH! Anways, my other experiences with them have been fine.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Man, that does suck!

Reply To Post