Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
20 years ago

Soprano Sax . . .

I am interested in possibly buying a new (not old or used) soprano sax, but I don't to pay over $2,000 for it. I would possibly be using it for some jazz solos in my high school jazz band, but most of all, just for my own amusement and experimenting at home. I don't want a begginner horn, either; I want a decent soprano that wouldn't cost me much. So far I've had my eye on a L.A. Sax soprano, but they almost seem like crappy horns to me. Yamaha, Selmer, and Yanagisawa are to expensive for what I need. I also looked at a Keilwerth. Thanks for any help!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax . . .

This could spin off into one of those 40+ response postings before long, but why not an "old/used" horn? I've tried a new Yamaha 475 which is in your price range, and I thought it sounded like a long, conical tin can. If it's gotta be new, see if you can get your hands on an Accent brand horn (Taiwanese, but very nice sounding and playing). The one I played was going for about $1000 and was worth it based on what I and a few other people I had try it thought. If you're hung up on getting a new horn under $2000, I don't have much more advice for you except "try before you buy" and make sure you've got a decent mouthpiece (your own) that you can switch from horn to horn when you give them a whirl. The Keilwerth might be decent, but be sure to try it first, like anything.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

for new, the Antigua 590 has gotten rave reviews and costs half of what you're willing to pay. Yanagisawa is considered by many to be the standard-bearer in soprano horns these days, and you may find their basic S901 model in the $2000 range. For vintage, I've heard great things about old Buescher Truetones, though you might not like the antiquated keywork.

Reply To Post

1. by jazzax
        (30 posts)

20 years ago

I'd be really careful buying a soprano. Soprano is a very demanding instrument and the intonation is quite tricky. If it's a cheap horn or an old vintage soprano, intonation problems are even more of an issue. Also, don't assume just because it's a new professional horn, it's not going to have intonation problems. Several years ago, I tried several Selmer Series III horns that had severe intonation problems. I was AMAZED! My Mark VI had far superior intonation. (Clearly, there must be some out there where this isn't as much of an issue, but that was MY experience). None of the other horns I tried (Keilwerth SX90, Yamaha Custom, Yanagisawas, other Selmers) had such problems, including a Selmer Series II. You should be able to pick up a professional used modern soprano for around $2000. You might not have the same problems with the Yamaha that the person posting above did. Several decades ago, when I was playing in high school, the school had a Yamaha 62 that I thought was a really nice horn at the time. I use a Yanagisawa 992 now. My experience with vintage horns is that they can sound great, but get ready to work it a lot to control them (not that this isn't an issue with any saxophone, it's just a matter of degrees). As far as sound, so much of it is in your throat/tongue/diaphragm, reed, mouthpiece combiniation and your own personal sound concept. Also, a pro horn will have better resale value than a new cheap horn if you decide you want to sell it for something else.

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
          (75 posts)

20 years ago

Well, you are gonna have to make a sacrafice one way or the other. Either buy a god used soprano, or spend more money and get a good new one. It would be pointless to get a crappy one thats new when you could get a gorgeous old one. Vintage i think would be the way to go. Go for a used one and get a nice brand, thats your best bet.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

What about L.A. Sax? Are they good horns? They seem almost cheap with that high "G" junk and all. A "pro" L.A. Sax soprano is just over 1,000 . . . and that leads me to think that it may not be quality. Tell me what you know.

Reply To Post

3. by lay24
        (1 post)

20 years ago

HEY, ARE YOU STILL LOOKING FOR A SOPRANO SAX. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. I MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT

Reply To Post

1. by SaxBallUIUC
          (1 post)

20 years ago

I am looking for a soprano (really interested in a yamaha)

Reply To Post