Saxophone Forum

by glen_ice saxaphone
(4 posts)
20 years ago

which is better

I'm thinking about buying a keilwerth sax. I want to know which is better, keilwerth ex 90 or sx 90 can you all pls reply me :)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: which is better

The SX is the intermediate horn. Google your way to Keilwerth's website for more information.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

I tried a Keilwerth EX Tenor with the black nickle plate. I also remember trying the premium SX90 with rolled tone holes some time ago. The EX had a so-so tone until I hit the high register: there it sounded shrill and nasty. The SX90 was more even, but just didn't impress me. It had a nice bottom end, but not as nice as my Buescher, but I found the rest of the range too resistant for my tastes. I also tried their taiwanese alto and wasn't impressed at all with it. Someone with larger hands would probably find the ergonomics of the Keilwerth horns more comfortable than I did. Though Keilwerth's reputation is pervasive enough to warrant recommendations from me to try their horns, I myself must not be a Keilwerth type of guy. BTW Maniac, I think you meant to say that the "ST" was Keilwerth's Omtermediate horn.

Reply To Post

1. by frostshardz
        (23 posts)

20 years ago

correction.. ST is student model.. EX is intermidiate... SX in professional

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

20 years ago

Oh yeah - thanks. The one I tried was a nickle plated EX90 tenor, and I wasn't terribly impressed. Could have been that it needed a go-over to be set-up correctly.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Oh yeah - thanks. The one I tried was a nickle plated EX90 tenor, and I wasn't terribly impressed. Could have been that it needed a go-over to be set-up correctly. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- It was the same thing with the Black-Nickel EX I tried. It's setup was horrible! It was in unplayable condition out of the box.

Reply To Post

2. by Kitch22
        (98 posts)

20 years ago

SX is the "pro" horn while EX is the "intermediate" horn. I wouldn't recommend either, though. Go for a Yamaha. Their new Custom Zs are absolutely incredible.

Reply To Post