Saxophone Forum

by senior
(23 posts)
20 years ago

Chirps

Resently had new false teeth made after 10 years. Old one were worn way down. That is when I started getting screechs in my tone when I played D2 and above. Changing reeds cleared that up, but now I am getting chirps in my tone on any note from G1 and up. Takes a smooth slow increase in breath not to get it. Which means I am having problems playing Stacato. All this started with new teeth. Anyone have an idea what I am doing wrong?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Chirps

What kind of mouthpiece and reed are you using? What is the reed strength? It is possible you are taking in too much mouthpiece, but it depends on your setup.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

sounds like your recent dental work altered the geometry of you're bite enough to completely screw up your embrochure. A lot of long tones and tongueing exersizes will probably normalize it around you're new teeth, I'm guessing

Reply To Post

2. by senior
      (23 posts)

20 years ago

The mouthpiece I use is a Jody Jazz #8, That has a tip opening of 80. Reeds are Vandoren Java #2. I also have Java 2 1/2 and 3's.

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

My best advice would be to try different reed strengths. Experiment and see which one works best to reduce or even eliminate the chirping. Practicing and getting used to your new embouchure may take time, but you are gonna have to practice to get used to it.

Reply To Post