Saxophone Forum

by allaboutsax
(7 posts)
20 years ago

Legit Mouthpiece

I am an expierienced legit alto player, and i have tried many legit pieces, larry teal, selmer s-80, and some vandorens. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the darkest and lest edgeless mouthpiece they have played on alto thanks

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Legit Mouthpiece

The least edgey setup I've played was a Vandoren Optimum AL3 with Vandoren Bluebox #3 reeds. Other recommendations I've heard are the Morgan classical mouthpieces, Caravans, or vintage Buescher/Rascher pieces.

1. by Bibimbop
      (53 posts)

20 years ago

I also vouch for the Vandoren Optimum. Also, you might want to give S-90's a try, or the new Selmer Soloist series. All the pieces mentioned are legit, I think you'll find that "edgyness" varies from mouthpiece to mouthpiece even with the same brand. Try numerous mouthpieces of the same brand and you'll still find many differences. Happy mouthpiece hunting!

2. by Kitch22
    (98 posts)

20 years ago

Try an E. Rousseau mpc; they might work for you. Also, S90s are more edgy than a S80. Also, try a fabric lig like the Rovner dark because metal ligatures won't help if you want to get rid of an edgy tone. Good luck.