Saxophone Forum

by silversax440
(29 posts)
20 years ago

Rascher Mouthpiece Facing

Can anyone describe a Rascher mouthpiece for me? I know I'm not looking for a piece that has a very closed tip like the LT. Thanks...

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kingsaxello
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Rascher Mouthpiece Facing

Ahh... I currently play on a Rascher mouthpiece. It has a very closed tip so it is probably not what you are looking for. If you want a mouthpiece that's well-rounded in tone but has a larger tip, maybe you should try a medium chambered Caravan.

Reply To Post

1. by allaboutthesax
      (1 post)

17 years ago

i'm looking to buy either a rascher or caravan alto mouthpiece. i heard that the rascher can be too dark. since you play on one, how would you describe the over all tone? is it a responsive mouthpiece? does it play well in the altissimo range? i'm looking for a dark, round sound, but i don't want to sacrifice control, dynamic range, or altisimo. which one would you recommend?

Reply To Post

1. by kingsaxello
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

I do not consider the Rascher mouthpiece to be too dark. It all depends on what your ideal sound is. In answer to your questions, yes, it is a responsive mouthpiece. The altissimo range is unlimited, as long as you take the proper time to get used to the more closed facing. I was not able to play as high on my Rascher right after switching from a Caravan, but in time I got it back. You must know that as you go towards a more closed-off facing, volume will suffer to some degree. It is in the nature of open-chambered mouthpieces to be this way. Also, what sax do you own? That can be a factor in choosing a mouthpiece as well.

Reply To Post