Saxophone Forum

by BLUESKATG
(3 posts)
20 years ago

Yanagisawa ?

I recently came back to the sax after a 15 year layoff. I bought a pawnshop special and I would like to ask the help of the experts on this forum. I've never heard of Yanagisawa before, but I really liked the action on this machine. Much better than my old YAS-23. Is it considered good for an intermediate player? There are no model numbers on it but the ser. is 05780496. How old is it? It also says "Made by Yanagisawa" on the bell. Must be old. Came with what looks like the original mouthpiece, lig., and you should see this old styled case! (50s?)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Yanagisawa ?

I've never really heard much about the old yanigasawas, but I do know that the ones that they are making now are pretty decent, and I would imagine their vintge saxes are good. To get one at a pawnshop sounds like a pretty good find. You can do some research and go to some websites and look up the serial numbers yourself, it's not hard to do.

Reply To Post

1. by BLUESKATG
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks, G.GUY, I've looked on the websites that I could find and the serial number on it doesn't correspond to anything there. could this be one of Yani's first? I'd like to say eighties but the case...ohhh the case! It almost looks fifties. Got onto the vintage sax website and mine looks like the 800 series altos, but not exactly. BTW, tried a new 82z today...unbelievable! I see one in my near future. Thanks again. Mike.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, the 82z's are great, but don't you dare buy it without trying out that new 875 EX custom! >:0

Reply To Post

1. by BLUESKATG
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

Will do. If anyone comes across a more definitive answer on this thing, please let me know.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

20 years ago

Yanagisawas are considered fine instruments today, and their older horns are also considered to be decent to quite good. The oldest serial number list I have found is here: www.bandm.co.uk/Pages/yanagisawa/history.htm It doesn't include you're serial number, but look at the format given for numbers granted during the seventies: the third and fourth digit indicates the year of manufacture prior to 1980. I'm thinking your horn was made in 1978, and the first two numbers possibly change depending on the type (sop, alto, tenor, bari) of horn.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

It also seems likely that the '05' in the serial number actually designates the model, which would be the A-5 (assuming alto). That is my best guess.

Reply To Post