Saxophone Forum

by JBO42
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Custom Z vs. a different horn by suggestion

hi guys - im new to this saxquest thing but for about the last month have been trying to ponder on what new horn i should get. So far i've been leaning toward the YTS-82Z, but havent for sure made up my mind. If anyone would like to give me a suggestion on a quality horn that is 3000 or under please respond.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Custom Z vs. a different horn by suggestion

God horns that would be the Z are a plenty. The martin tenor, a conn 10m, a new wonder II or more commonly known as a chu-berry, buescher aristocrats, even true tones, 6m's, a few others, less commonly found.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

If you're looking to drop upwards of $3000 on a tenor, go find a 1940's Conn 10M in top condition. They can be found without too much difficulty and they are fantastic players. The value will only appreciate with time, to boot.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

The only two tenor's I've tried and liked for around 3 grand were the Yani 991 and the Selmer Series II, though I've never tried the 82Z's. The absolute best horn I've ever tried was a Ref 36 for about $4600.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

[If you're looking to drop upwards of $3000 on a tenor, go find a 1940's Conn 10M in top condition. They can be found without too much difficulty and they are fantastic players. The value will only appreciate with time, to boot.] I'll second that.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by JBO42
        (5 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks everbody! , ill definantly take all of your advice into consideration.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

If you like the Yamaha horns, but you aren't sure the Z is what you're looking for, play the YTS-875-EX. It' a step up from the 82Z.

Reply To Post