Saxophone Forum

by Kitch22
(98 posts)
20 years ago

Soprano Sax

I am going to purchase a soprano (most likely not vintage) in the near future to play some jazz solos in my high school band, but mostly just have for fun to mess around on. I don't think I want to spend any more than $1,400. Models I've looked at are the L.A. Sax, and the Jupiter Artist Series. I want a decent horn, and definitley not a cheap junker beginning sax. Tell me what you think about these two, or any other non-vintages that would be dependable but not pricy.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax

For "most likely not vintage" horns, I advise (somewhat) against Yamaha YSS475 as they are tinny sounding, in my opinion. Well made, but lifeless tone. For the occasional jazz solo, they would be fine probably, but I was looking for a very warm legit horn and was not impressed in that regard. Accent brand (Taiwan made) horns are decent and a good buy at around $1000. I liked it much better than the Yamaha and it was $500 cheaper. I bought neither as I found a great vintage horn at $1000. If you ever get over your vintage aversion, let me know, and I can advise you more specifically.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

What's wrong with vintage horns? Being that not all vintage instruments are expensive (even coveted vintage horns are often less than new ones), have poor keywork, or have bad intonation. Yanagisawas are very well thought of, but perhaps beyond your pricerange unless you go for a used 800's model. Antigua Winds' Sopranos has gotten glowing recommendations from people who have owned far more expensive instruments.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

20 years ago

I play an older Yani-made Vito soprano. Yani quality yet affordable and definitely within the $1400 price range - at least until word gets out that they are undervalued. Vito isn't a collectable brand necessarily, but my horn has "collectable sound", and that's all that matters, in my opinion. Don't know if there are modern Vito sopranos or how they play - mine's from 1978.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Neither LA sax or jupiter are brands you want in my opinion. Jupiter's basically the same story as Cannonball saxes, they won't last. And LA saxes you see in catalouges a lot, and they are basically just a commercial brand, it's not something you'll be satisfied to keep. Yeah, Yani makes the best sopranos probably, but they are prices. Yeah, Vito's made by Yani, so if I were you I would try one of those. Have the person selling it let you play it for like 4 days first.

Reply To Post

1. by saxguy9345
          (21 posts)

20 years ago

I went with the hype and bought a new Antigua YS590 from Kessler Music in Nevada, and it was the best purchase I could've made. Roughly $900 for a beautiful Yanagisawa S991 copy, and it blows away the YSS475, Buecher BU-3 (tin foil), and Jupiter sopranos I tried beforehand. It is a professional grade instrument, and I've used it multiple times in performances. I have absolutly no regrets, its that good. Give them a try, honestly.

Reply To Post AIM

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

let me go on a rant here... since I dont' have a job and watch CNN all day I get to hear about a lot of things, and a lot of bullshit propaganda... but they talk about losing jobs to places like china, mexico, and so on. here is my point... This person asked about a cheap sax, that's not vintage. Insted of saying "oh this brand from tiwan (sp) is cheap and works" lets say to them "this vintage one was made in the us, or europe and has good keywork and sounds just as good or better than new ones" I know it's small and dosn't make a differnce, but we should be making a effort to support this country and our products. I know most horns are made overseas (if not all) but lets try and support old companys and ones that arnt trying to copy things or make cheap products.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM