Saxophone Forum

by astrocarro
(5 posts)
20 years ago

Hardest Piece

Like the topic says: the hardest piece for saxophone. I think from experience, I would say The Dahl (Sonata and Conecerto), Denisov(Sonata, I think), or Caprice en forme de Valse.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by PsuSax
    (25 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Hardest Piece

2nd Movement of the Creston Sonata. I know....right now your thinking I'm a moron. Think again. Within 4 bars you can tell if somebody has their act together or not. There are a million people that can play this. There are only a handfull that can play this and make is sound amazing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by Saxophonist0035
    (2 posts)

19 years ago

WOW. So many harder pieces out there. For example, the Lauba etudes, Steady Study on the Boogie, and a lot of others. Frankly, there is a whole other level of music beyond the Dahl and Denisov. And II of Creston. Wow man. I agree you can tell a lot from that, but still. A lot of people can play that well, try making Cowell's Air and Scherzo sound like Gary Louie does. There are so many other difficult pieces, broaden your horizon.

Reply To Post

1. by PsuSax
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

Ii've played or am currently playing all of that other stuff, including Air and Scherzo. I can't make it sound as good as him and I have only heard one person that can....HIM. My horizons are quite broad, I'm simply trying to provide a different angle than the typical high-school thought of 5,00,000 notes as fast and high as possible equals a hard piece.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

19 years ago

thank you - all these dum asses think that all they have to is play the notes right - incidentally, mule is spinning in his grave every time some one like those 2 or three play a piece - I bet minty plays the tomassi EXACTLY as it is written, quite literally.

Reply To Post

2. by saxophonist2003
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

broadening horizons is one thing, I'm all for that. But to say that Creston Sonata mvmII is the hardest piece out there, while you say your playing Air and Scherzo, wow. Ummmmmmm. You sound like youv'e got your head up creston's ass. And of course only Gary can sound like that, but its a goal to strive for, just like you probably have an ideal sound when you play the creston. I'm just saying I think the model sound for the creston is much easier achieved than that of Air and Scherzo. Not to say that the Creston is easy, by any means. To play that piece well is difficult, but you said it yourself, your'e broadening your horizons, so get off the creston. It's a great piece, but come on man, this post is about the hardest piece ever. Creston should probably not be mentioned. sry, email me if you would like to discuss this more. -Jon [email protected]

Reply To Post

2. by DefiniSax
      (10 posts)

20 years ago

Those songs are definitely not the hardest pieces written for saxophone, they are hard but not the hardest. There are dozens of harder songs, even Maslanka.

Reply To Post

1. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

HA. Pal, you don't know what you're talking about. Definisax is right, I hear about 12 harder pieces in my Saxophone Departmental meeting every week.

Reply To Post

2. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

I've heard it twice. Try playing Die Mude, it's a new piece but it's lightyears ahead of Dahl. Tomasi's Ballade... harder. Until you're in college, don't say that something's hard. You have yet to see hard.

Reply To Post

3. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

Actually, double tounging is just a trick. It sounds bad because you can't hear all the notes as clear as a single tounge. Do your double tounging at Michigan, not here at NT. It's all single tounge.

Reply To Post

4. by mintyfreshjam
        (48 posts)

19 years ago

Or I just don't like the sound and don't want to waste my time on it. I don't have to justify to you why I don't have a class right now. That's not the subject at hand. More importantly, if you're so good, why aren't you out working?

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

GAWOOOOOSHHHHH!!!!!!!

Reply To Post

6. by johnsonfromwisconsin
        (767 posts)

19 years ago

I like pretty horns.

Reply To Post

7. by muzik316
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

Try the Creston of course but the Glosanov Concerto or Concertino da Camera will kick your butt as well.

Reply To Post

3. by John Coltrane
      (84 posts)

19 years ago

For solo and ensemble im playing all 3 parts of Wolfgang Jacobi's "Sonata for Alto Saxophone" pretty challenging piece, some to audition for, for college bands. Lots of sharps and flats, slow parts and sixteenth notes and rhythm sections everywhere with piano backing you up class A

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by mooing_sheep
        (20 posts)

19 years ago

How about the hardest jazz piece? Any ideas???

Reply To Post

1. by John Coltrane
          (84 posts)

19 years ago

well a overall all aroudn hard piece could be Raincheck or Happy Go Lucky Local, every section has to be able to play the part or it sounds wrong.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

19 years ago

I would say - ah cant think of it - I want to say it is crazeology, btu I know that isnt right - Bebop keeps coming to mind too, but I dont think thats right - well its a crazzy friken song at about 220 that bird played alot - It hink cannonball did too - not a fan of adderly so I wouldnt know.

Reply To Post

2. by John Coltrane
            (84 posts)

19 years ago

cannonball adderly owns :)

Reply To Post Yahoo!

3. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

I know this is off subject, but I adore Adderly ballads.

Reply To Post

4. by barimachine
            (323 posts)

19 years ago

i always take bebop for this really hard piece but its not THAT bad still awesome you just have to get it down the best verision is the stan getz sonny stitt and dizzy

Reply To Post

2. by MaxRyan1112
          (1 post)

4 years ago

Hey, im looking for the hardest piece i can play on the tenor saxophone. I know it might seem like a crazy idea but i've only been playing the saxophone for two years now and was wondering how long it would take me to learn a really hard piece. Some guideline i want to set are: odd time signatures, really quick tempo, impossible rythmes to play, lots of sharps and flats, and it sound cool but also hard. It would be nice if it is on Youtube too.

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
            (644 posts)

4 years ago

Get Coltrane's Hal Leonard transcription book. Spend a week on Giant Steps.

Then let us know what you think about a tenor piece, full of accidentals and strange techniques. I think the tempo is around a quarter note =290.

I know for sure there are a few you tube examples out there.

I know you were speaking classical, but you asked.

Good Luck

Reply To Post

1. by alex rennie
              (1 post)

4 years ago

I have bought the book and have learnt Giant Steps solo off by heart. Countdown is probably harder though. I would probably say the Denisov. I also recently played Pequeña Czarda by Pedro Itturalde. That's quite hard but sounds harder than it actually is tbh. How are we judging hardnes? (fast? expressive? technical e.g lots of altissimo? a mix?)

Reply To Post