Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(1 post)
20 years ago

Berg Larson Mouthpieces

Hi I have been out of playing for 10 years. I was given a tenor sax and now wanting to play again. I had a Berg Larson 110/2 Metal mouthpiece. Any comments on technology in the last 10 years for mouthpieces?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Berg Larson Mouthpieces

Can't tell by your posting if you still have the Berg, but they still make the Bergs if you wanted to replace it. It may not be exactly like your old one, but it would probably feel very similar and sound similar. The technology hasn't changed a whole lot except that now you can find odd-ball materials like aluminum or mouthpieces that have been CNC machined to mega-tolerances. The fact of the matter is that a lot of players seek vintage mouthpieces because of their characteristic sound, but there's landmines out there, so be sure you are getting it from a source that you or someone else feels is reputable. There is risk that the piece has been modified or is in bad shape. That's part of the excitement of the hunt, in my opinion. I recommend that you go to a music store and try out everything you can to get a sense of what you like. Hopefully, you have a store nearby that sells more than Selmer S80's. If you liked your old Berg, you'd likely be happy with a new one. Check out Weinermusic.com as they do trials. I think WWBW does trials as well. It's worth the measly couple of bucks they charge to be sure you end up with something you are happy with.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
      (767 posts)

20 years ago

Berg Larsen seems to have a horrible reputation for consistancy these days. People over at SOTW (including myself) are very dissapointed in the inconsistancy of the facings out of the box.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Seems that only the most expensive mouthpieces are play-tested prior to release to the general public. This is why it's good to get several of even the same piece to try them out - to pick the best of the bunch. Same with horns, you know?

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

"horrible reputation for consistancy" __________________________ Even worse than Dukoff?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I wouldn't say worse than Dukoff, but I've heard of inconsistency. Mine was fine but I had it tested and didn't get it out of the box. A mouthpiece that I have found to be pretty much flawless and always good with no necessary adjustments, is the Ralph Morgan line. He hand makes them all out of blanks. He tests you to find what facings and measurements best suits you, gives you a mouthpiece analysis, and make a diagram of the piece he makes you, and they play wonderfully. Not terribly expensive either. Check out the website, I believe it is Ralphmorgan.com.

Reply To Post

2. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

20 years ago

I've heard the same thing about the consistancy of the Morgans. I should have never bought the berg. Meh!

Reply To Post