Saxophone Forum

by silversax440
(29 posts)
20 years ago

Sibelius vs. Finale

I've heard so much about which music notation software is the best. But is it really worth $300 dollars. Well let me re-phrase my question: is it worth it for me? I'll only be using it for doing theory projects at college next month and I'm not big into composing. Would it be better for me to get PrintMusic!? Its only $70. What do you guys think? and then I'm sure you would all like to discuss/argue which is better: Sibelius or Finale!!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by peter090
    (155 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Sibelius vs. Finale

Print Music is actually very good. It contains most of the publishing features of Finale. The scanning software is stripped down and there are limitations with the number of staves but it has the human playback and dictation components. Look at the features on Coda's website and you should be able to tell if you think you need them or not.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Print Music doesn't have the MIDI input or hyperscribe, to two biggest most expensive features of the program.

Reply To Post

1. by peter090
        (155 posts)

20 years ago

You must be thinking of another product. PrintMusic has midi input, inputs midi files, and has hyperscribe (although only with a click track in PrintMusic) Its main limitations are the midi editing, number of staves, and the degree of customization of the interface. Printmusic also uses a less poweful score scanning software. For producing written music PrintMusic would be more than adequate for most people. You can compare features side by side on Codas website finalemusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
      (586 posts)

20 years ago

I know a few audio production programs (and apple) give discounts for students... I would think that Finale would do the same. could always kazaa it. I doubt they would get all up in arms because some student found a copy to do school work with. anyway, my old roomate went to IPR in minneapolis (forgot what that stands for, something about music recroding and production) but he bought well over $500 worth of programs and a really nice apple laptop. Shoot, now that I think of it. Another friend bought (yes bought) 3d studio max back about 5 or 6 years ago when he was in school for 3d animation. That couldn't have been cheap. what am I trying to say? $300 isn't that bad for professional software. So just suck it up and buy it! Besides then you can brag about having it and put it on your resume or something. just my .02 (-Edited for language on 8/7/2004 2:48:14 PM.)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

It's worth knowing how to use professional grade software, but if you're looking to go on the cheap, you could try MidiNotate. I think it costs all of about $35 and it would probably suit your needs. It's not great for graphically editing the music, but has enough capability to do some basic things, transposing, voice changes, etc. For how cheap it is, I have to say it is actually quite impressive. I don't have Finale or Sibelius (yet), but have been a long time user of Cakewalk Pro. Once you get used to using professional grade software, you will always require it and never regret it.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
          (86 posts)

20 years ago

I downloaded Finale for free. Although, I think its just a demo. If there is a key change or time change option, I certainly don't know how to use it, and I've been using it for a long time. If you will be using those kind of things, I would advise buying the full version. I mostly use it for writing and arranging, so I really need the full thing! But if you just need to hear a rythym before you play it, just download it. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by semipro
            (17 posts)

20 years ago

I am a long time user of finale and I have my masters in Music Theory. I would have to say that if you do advanced analysis Finale is the most versatile product but it does have the larger learning curve. For basic roman numeral analysis sibelius will do. I would download the demos of both apps and give them a shot. BTW $299 is the academic pfice for both apps. There are scaled back versions of Finale (Print Music, etc.) but I don't think it lets you access the advanced features that would make advanced theory work possible. I think you would be back to pencil and paper.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

20 years ago

Semipro, all of the features are included in the Finale 2004 demo, you just can't save, and can only print the first page, and Finale is stamped in bold letters across from the page when it prints out; but you can sill experience all of the special features of the program. I don't know if that's the case with the Sibelius demo or not... I have it, I just don't like it, so I haven't tried it in years.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Kelsey, sounds like you download Finale Notepad. Not a demo, just a watered down version of Finale. Yeah, I wouldn't be suprised if there was no key change option.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, the only thing that will come up on kazaa is the free demo. 300 dollars includes the discount....it's originally 600. Finale has all of the super high tech features, if you don't need it or can't handle it, sure, get print music, but it's the same thing as finale notepad and that's free. All it can do is put down the notes. You might be able to get a small grant for this, or buy it through the school. Basically, nothing comes close to Finale except Sibelius, and they are the same price, so suck it up and buy Finale.

Reply To Post

1. by semipro
          (17 posts)

20 years ago

Something I didn't think about last night was that NotePad qould let you do 4-part writing. It will not let you change keys mid tune. which makes it a little cumbersome but it is free.

Reply To Post