Saxophone Forum

by diskdragon
(1 post)
20 years ago

i have a realy old sax should i get a new one

it's old and nappy looking but it plays great my director doesn't like how it looks on the feild should i get it refinished or just get a new one?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Spike
    (248 posts)

20 years ago

Re: i have a realy old sax should i get a new one

is it just dirty, or is most of the laquer really in that bad of shape? It may just need a chem clean, but if not, it depends on how nice it is. If you've got a really great sounding horn, you may want to just look for a used marching sax(vito is definately a great choice in this area, but yamahas work well too.) If you're feeling both risky and spendy, check out silver or nickel plating. Both look great(marching directors like that) and may improve your sound. Both would mellow your tone out though.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

both are extremely durable too, though what kind fo sax do you have? it may not be worth plating it, depending on what kind it is. And if you don't feel like getting a sax, tell your director to go pound scores, cause you aint doing nothing about it - that is if the problem is wear and tear, if it is dirty, then clean it.

Reply To Post

1. by Spunky2sax75
        (75 posts)

20 years ago

Personally, I would tell your director to quit his whining and piss off. If it sounds good, why should you mess with the finish and change the sound just so it looks shiny on te field? I personally think its retarded that he wants you to spend money on getting it finished just so that it will look nice. Worry about the sound, not the looks of it.

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
      (395 posts)

20 years ago

I agree with spunky2sax....your director has problems if cares more about the looks of a sax than the way it plays. If your choices are getting it refinished or not being in the band, then i'd get it refinished if you have the money. Talk to your director. *spunky2sax, thanks 4 the advice in my post..it helped=)

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

If it's lacquer that's worn off, polished brass shines more brilliantly than lacquered brass - so get some polish and get to it. I can't imagine a horn looking so bad a director wouldn't want it used in a marching band - unless they don't want you on the field for some "other" reason.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

20 years ago

yeah, brass will polish up well, then get some johnson wax to keep that finish. that or give your director this ..I.. =) unless you're in a college with a good program, then it's a differnt story.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by saxyfire
            (9 posts)

20 years ago

I think there is something wrong w/ your director. If he's a real musician he will know the sound comes way before looks. You could polish, you could refinshing it, but once again sound is what matters. I would like to know really what kind of condition your horn is in. Is it rusting? Has the lacquer simply worn off? Is this something that can be avoided by simply taking better care of your horn? If it's care issue than don't buy a new horn.

Reply To Post

2. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

20 years ago

I can't imagine a director telling you your horn is not good enough. Last year for marching band I played on a student model King (So it diddn't even sound good in the first place) and it was so dirty it looked like the laquer had been striped off. It had leeks too, so I had to tape down the left hand palm keys (luckily I had the bottom part so there where no high D's or above). It was a school horn though so there wasn't much I could do about it, but my friend was playin on one that was about ten times worse (my mouthpiece cost more than his horn) and my director told him not to play on his brand new Yamaha custom and that he diddn't care about how they looked because we made them sound good. If your director cares that much about how it looks, buy a sharpie, and pretend it's black laquer (not really, but it's one idea)

Reply To Post