Saxophone Forum

by Crumdom
(1 post)
20 years ago

Alto Sax Beginner

I am looking to buy my son an alto sax. He has never played, so I'm leary to get something really expensive. I'm looking at a Brandnow and an Allan, which I can't find any info on. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by FutureBandTeacher
    (45 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Alto Sax Beginner

I am a high school freshman. Like most everyone else who replied, I'd rcommend a Yamaha alto sax. I got mine (used only 3 times!!!) off of EBay for $500. Look for a seller with over 90% positive ratings, if possible, and that has been played on rarely, if ever. I don't remember the model name, but my Yamaha alto has been great-- this is my third year of band and the only repair I've ever had on it is to solder on a key guard/replace a keynote screw/replace a couple of right-hand pads.

Reply To Post

2. by Selmer Fan88
    (15 posts)

19 years ago

I really would suggest you a Yamaha, maybe a YAS-275 it's really easy to play for an beginner, but you can play it also after three years. The price of maybe $600 isn't that much expensive,because if you buy a Jupiter or anything like that you'll have to pay the same,but the Yamaha are definitly better,I think.

Reply To Post

3. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

I don't know much about the Bandnow saxophones other than they are offered for sale by Woodwinds and Brasswinds. On the plus side WWBW offers a return period, on the minus side you may not find out if it's any good during that period due to inexperience. Personally, I'd stick to getting a used Bundy or Yamaha student instrument at a local shop.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

If you haven't been able to find info on either of them, its probably not a very good sign. I'd reccomend Yamaha, Bundy,(like he did) Jupiter, or Selmer. Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by PIP
        (29 posts)

20 years ago

I would definately recommend the Jupiter artist series. I have the artist series tenor and it will easily carry me through college. The best part, ONLY $1100 for a horn with amazing tone, intonation, and response from musiciansfriend.com

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

or you can get a selmer aristocrat for somewhere around 700 bucks at any reasonable music store - if you want to get maintenence, it will about 850 bucks.

Reply To Post

2. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

20 years ago

Go with a Yamaha 23. It's the beginner horn and it works quite well.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

behind the times. The yamha is now the crappiest student model you can get now - the new selmer stuff blows it away - before it was about third best. Not to mention, the yamahs run considerabley more than the selmer stuff.

Reply To Post

4. by FutureBandTeacher
          (45 posts)

19 years ago

Sure, the Yamaha is a pretty low student model, but mine's a Pro, and I really like it. YOU may like the way you spelled "considerably," but I like the various ways you spelled "Yamaha."

Reply To Post

5. by tenor562
          (297 posts)

19 years ago

Yamaha's sure aren't selmer paris, but they work pretty good for me. A Custom Z is pretty close or better than a Series 2 or 3, but quite a bit cheaper. I agree, Yamaha student saxes stink. My felts are coming off, they have a pretty bad tone, but they're decent for beginners, and it's better to steer people toward a used one than to steer them toward a helmke.

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

haha I like the way I spelled considerably

Reply To Post

2. by sonnyrollins57
        (17 posts)

20 years ago

The best horn you could get for your son is a selmer student model on ebay like a bundy or 1244 model.You could buy that horn easily for $200 to 400 bucks.Those are good sounding beginner horns and are well built.Those horns could last a life time.Take it,slow and dont rush buying any saxophone,studied it and know what your getting.

Reply To Post

1. by sonnyrollins57
          (17 posts)

20 years ago

By the way check out Ebay.com,its the best place to buy a used horn for a cheap price.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
            (559 posts)

20 years ago

well, not necessarily, you get a lot of stuff there that is WELL beyond repair. and then sometimes you get shipping charges of massive proportions from chabungawungaland or whereever. Check your local shop, the market has really changed - all this student stuff has drastically dropped in price - except for the yamahas.

Reply To Post