Saxophone Forum

by idigbird
(4 posts)
16 years ago

Otto Link Mouthpieces

I just tried several new Otto Link metal mouthpieces. The rails were all distorted and did not meet the tip squarely. The tip did not match the reed and was crooked. The inside bore had a huge gouge in it and was poorly finished. Both played terrible. Did I just happen to try two bad mouthpieces, or it this the way they come from the factory these days?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Otto Link Mouthpieces

Sadly enough, most of them are like that new.

Reply To Post

2. by idigbird
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

Otto Link Mouthpieces

I talked with my local music retailer about the quality control issues with Otto Link mouthpieces. They also had issues with poor quality and returned several mouthpieces to the manufacturer. [They returned several mouthpieces to the factory because the tips were poorly formed and did not match the reed tip.] Babbit sent them back, saying they were 'just like they are supposed to be." Huh? I can't believe this company is so arrogant that they refuse to fix a problem with a retailer. My retailer even addressed the problem with the president of JJ Babbitt at the anual NAMM show. He refused to acknowledge that there were any manufacturing problems whatsoever with their mouthpieces!

Reply To Post

1. by newreedsyndrome
      (343 posts)

16 years ago

yea, most companies dont want to admit any falacies in their work. but as time goes by, their qc goes further and further down the tubes. the tips are lousy and ive had to level quite a few of the rails on student's mouthpieces. the best qc ive seen in a long time, though, are the pieces ralph morgan is making now. every one is a very good mouthpiece

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

wow I'm surprised to hear that about Link. I knew from experience Meyer had gone down the chute, and Berg always had a well earned lousy reputation. I thought Link were the last bastion. we're heading backwards into the future.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

why is this thread in member's announcemets.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

members announcements is just a suggestion... i think... i just got an otto link super tone master for alto, nothing wrong with it. The new meyers are bad, got an old one for free from an estate sale, all gouged up and still plays better. you never really know the tip opening of babbit mp's, though

Reply To Post

2. by idigbird
          (4 posts)

16 years ago

I just went through entire line of Meyer tenor mouthpieces, up to #9. Really the most unremarkable mouthpieces I ever played. I have a #6 which I don't like and was looking for a wider opening to see if that helped. It did not...I don't think Meyer has anything to offer. Sadly

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I recently bought an alto hr Meyer online (yeah I know) and the quality of workmanship was appalling, plus it feels more like plastic than rubber, tho I can get enough of an idea to know modern Meyers aren't for me. I've been using an older metal STM and despite the general consensus (alto + metal mpc) I love the sound. the best alto mpc I ever owned was a vintage hr Berg my teacher gave me, but their quality control is non existent/existant? so I wouldn't buy a berg on-line.

Reply To Post

4. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I would be interested in trying an older Meyer if I had a THOUSAND BUCKS.

Reply To Post

5. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

played one a while ago, they are good, but not 1000 bucks good.

Reply To Post

6. by Buescher27
          (3 posts)

16 years ago

I play a slant sig HR 5* on my alto and it is a real pleasure. And I got it for 5 bucks twenty years ago. It was 2nd hand, but Canadian bucks. Who says 1000 ?

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

well, 1000 US is about 20 euros. anyway, some people are willing to pay rediculious amounts for old NY Meyer Bros mouthpiece. to be fair, they are good, but i dont think they are quite worth 1000

Reply To Post

8. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

it's not like they're in short supply either.

Reply To Post