Saxophone Forum

by jazzfool132
(144 posts)
16 years ago

What is your set-up?

What equipment everyone is using to produce their jazz sound? Right now, I'm playing on: a Yamaha YAS-875EX alto, Meyer 6M Mouthpiece, Vandoren V16 3 Reed, and an Ultimate Ligature

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxandbassplayer
    (42 posts)

15 years ago

Re: What is your set-up?

As of late, I have a tenor setup now! I'm playing on a: Selmer Series II Tenor Jody Jazz DV 7* Mouthpiece w/ a Rover Dark Ligature (came with it, and it works plenty good) And I've been experimenting with Rico Jazz Select 3H This setup has been everything I could have asked for, and more. And I never want to spend $500 on a mouthpiece ever again.

Reply To Post

2. by CountSpatula
    (602 posts)

16 years ago

An alto saxophone!

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

15 years ago

A black comb and a roll of 2 ply toilet paper.....Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

waxed paper works best..I prefer a nice medium strength, mabe by Briggs and Stratton. They don't make it anymore, so I buy up all I can when I find it.

Reply To Post

2. by Brentcpt
      (4 posts)

16 years ago

A little different as far as I can tell "The Martin' Saxophone (188,***) (laquer almost completely worn away) Brancher J27 Mouthpiece Hemke #3 reeds I have tried all sorts of horns and all the classic mouthpiece and reed set ups. I just can't beat the sound I get from this combo.

Reply To Post

1. by Brentcpt
        (4 posts)

16 years ago

Sorry, That is a tenor set-up...

Reply To Post

3. by I8BurntToast
      (5 posts)

15 years ago

For Alto I play a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series, La Vaz Mediums, Vandoren Optimum AL3 mouth piece and a Vandoren Optimum ligature On Tenor I also play a Cannonball Big Bell Series, La Vaz Mediums, Vandoren Optimum AL 4 mouth piece and a Dark Rovner ligature.

Reply To Post AIM

4. by Lotus54
      (32 posts)

16 years ago

I have three saxophones. 1. Selmer Ref 36 Tenor, stock neck (I tried a Ref 54 neck and didn't like it). Custom Guardalla 'traditional' mouthpiece. Alexander reeds- generally around a 3. Fairly loose 'bite', throat open as possible. I'm looking for a sound somewhere between Dexter Gordon, Yusef Lateef and David Murray. (Dexter and Yusef have a HUGE fat sound). 2. Selmer Mk VI soprano (around '78). Selmer C** metal MP. Alexander reeds. I guess I have sort of a Coltrane kind of sound, but would rather sound more like Jane Ira Bloom. 3. Selmer 'Super Balanced Action' alto- around 1948. I've tried various MP, I think I'm using a Myer right now, used to have a Brillhardt (too bright for me). I don't play the alto that much anymore. Just for reference, I've played about 40 years.

Reply To Post

1. by bluesax7
        (1 post)

16 years ago

1931 alto selmer cigar cutter vandoren java a45 mouthpiece or vand v16 8s(trying it out) Vandoren java 2.5 or 3 reeds Vandoren optimum lig p.mauriat pmss67 soprano meyer 6 mouthpiece vandoren v12 clarinet reeds #3(yes clar reeds on sop mouthpiece)

Reply To Post

1. by Seano
          (132 posts)

16 years ago

Sounds like everyone is playing on some nice horns My main is a Conn 10M 265XXX silverplate (bought from SaxQuest too) with an HR Link 7, BG Lig and 3M Filed Rico Jazz Select reeds.

Reply To Post

2. by Altonian11
        (39 posts)

16 years ago

Yamaha YBS-52 with standard mouthpiece and 3.5 reed and Selman Soprano, only 200 on ebay mind you. With a brilliant sound too.

Reply To Post

3. by krzykrn88
        (27 posts)

16 years ago

yamaha 62 classic alto (yes, the one one!!) morgan excalibur 6e, gold olegature, and vandoren zz 3.5

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

16 years ago

PF Flier Tenor w/ rolled toneholes Kessler Custom NY 7 w/110 opening vandoren V16 2-1/2 Bonade inverted lig

Reply To Post

1. by saxandbassplayer
            (42 posts)

15 years ago

Selmer Mark VI 180*** Beechler S8S w/ 95 for an opening (which was a pleasant surprise) Vandoren ZZ 3's Winslow Ligature All in all I am in love with my setup. I was playing on a A55 Jumbo Java before, and the edge that I sacrificed going to this mouthpiece was more than made up with the nice fat sound the Beechler gives me.

Reply To Post

1. by The Connman
              (4 posts)

15 years ago

Tenor: Selmer Mark VI #164XXX, Otto Link 5*, Vandoren Java 3.5, Otto Link Lig. Still experimenting with mouthpieces, will NEVER play another tenor.

Reply To Post

2. by Manchesteru13
              (4 posts)

15 years ago

1952 Super Balanced Action Tenor, Meyer 6/ Otto Link 7 Star mouthpieces (depending on my mood), Van Doren blue box reeds 3/ 3.5 Selmer La Voix Silver Plated Alto, Meyer 5 mouthpiece, Van Doren blue box reeds 3/ 3.5

Reply To Post

3. by Lotus54
              (32 posts)

15 years ago

I've always wanted to try a Super Balanced Action Tenor. I have a '48 SBA alto and it is a wonderful horn. But I don't play alto that much. How do you like it? From what I can tell, my Reference 36 is very similar in a lot of ways. Mark

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
              (653 posts)

15 years ago

your horn is similar to a horn youve never played? just kidding, the 36 IS supposed to be based off the SBA

Reply To Post

5. by Manchesteru13
              (4 posts)

15 years ago

I love my 52 balanced action, it is my baby. It has a fantastic, full tone and it is streamlined like the balanced action for easy side key access and smooth action, while having many aspects of the mark VI that came right after it, such as the neck structure and setup of the low Bb keys. I've never played on a 36, so I can't really compare, but I basically live on my SBA.

Reply To Post