Saxophone Forum

by slimsaxman
(12 posts)
16 years ago

just introducing myself....and a question as well....

I've been reading stuff here for quite some time. Thought I should finally say something. Okay, I bought a Berg metal piece (105/2, SMS, 7*) a year ago, as I wanted a little brighter, edgier sound on my tenor. Well, I like the free-blowing nature of the piece, but now I'm using gradually harder reeds for endurance at gigs and to get some warmth back. I've gone back to my Java piece for a couple of weeks. I like it's warmth, but it's not quite as easy on the higher register. Suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by slimsaxman
    (12 posts)

16 years ago

Re: just introducing myself....and a question as well....

BTW, I should have said that the warmth is only lacking in the high register on the Berg...but my vibrato isn't as steady as it is on the VanDoren piece. - Kev

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

yours is a common lament. I have a shoe box full of tenor mpc's, each bought for some particular quality (or sometimes cos it was a bargain and one never knoweth). it's a never ending quest and why I find the saxophone so appealing. I played a metal berg 105/1 for a while which was gutsy and fat but ditched it for a metal link because I like a darker sound.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

that was on tenor.

Reply To Post

1. by slimsaxman
          (12 posts)

16 years ago

Well, thanks for the reassurance. Yeah, I've thought about starting to look for a metal Link. I know that lots of famous tenor players use or used them. I just don't want to pay the current prices for a vintage one.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

a cheaper option would be to get a second hand modern link, which you can pick up for about a hundred bucks, and have it tidied up by a competent perfectionist mouthpiece re-facer. you could do some research in that regard. if I lived in the States I would probably send a few of my mpc's to mouthpieceguys.com. I can't speak from personal experience but I've only ever heard positive things about their work.

Reply To Post

3. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

get a metal link..7*..find a metal ligiture that fits it, or use the one that comes with it..spend a few weeks and a few dollars figuring out which reeds work the best for you..and then spend 6 months or so doing long tones and harmonic studies every day..you'll get the sound you want..and, oh yeah..relax......

Reply To Post

4. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I use Hemke 3 or 3.5's with a 6*

Reply To Post

5. by slimsaxman
          (12 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the tips, Chalazon! I've gotten back to working more on long tones lately. And thanks again to you, my friend downunder. Would you guys suggest a particular Link model...e.g., Super Tone Master?

Reply To Post

6. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I've been pretty lucky with a few STM's that I have, tho I don't know if the newer ones are still hand finished. I have a new meyer that looks like it was hand finished by a dope smoker.

Reply To Post

7. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

hey I see you're from Charlie Parker's town.

Reply To Post

8. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

ideally, you have access to a retail establishment that will allow you to try several mpc's. I purchased mine from a mail order outfit..I ordered four of the 7*'s...kept the one I liked and sent the other three back. I use Java Jazz 2.5's.

Reply To Post

9. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

that's a good idea. I didn't think of doing that. dang.

Reply To Post

10. by slimsaxman
          (12 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks again, guys. Yes...you would think that in a big city that is also Charlie Parker's hometown, one would find at least one store with a selection of sax mouthpieces, but this is not the case. A few years ago, I was able to play several alto pieces before buying one, but there was only one metal piece around when I was shopping here last spring. I was just thinking of checking the local shops here again.

Reply To Post