Saxophone Forum

by [email protected]
(2 posts)
16 years ago

Martin Alto

Hello. I was hoping someone could advise me of where I could gather some information about my son's Martin Alto. It was given to him by his grandfather and he has always preferred the sound of his horn, compared to the sound of his middle-school band buddies' new horns, but now it is in the repair shop and the repair guys have given us an estimate of $100+, and recommend replacing the horn. Someone at another store told us it was a vintage sax and expressed interest in buying it. How can I find out something about this sax to determine whether to repair and keep, repair and sell or what? Serial no is 304794.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by cuber
    (653 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Martin Alto

As a martin player... YES, the horn is worth keeping, and it is definitally worth more than a 100 dollar repair fee. I question the credibility of the repairer if they think a horn can replaced for under 100 bucks. go to www.themartinstory.net/version7 to find out more about your martin

Reply To Post

2. by tarm403
    (4 posts)

16 years ago

If the horn sound great and it only cost $100 to repair why would you even think of replacing it ? And since it came from his grandfather he will appreciate it even more as time move on.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

$100 isn't very much to get a vintage horn playable. you wouldn't even get a chinese horn for that. it would probably still be worth it if it was $1000+

Reply To Post

1. by [email protected]
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Actually, I guess I wasn't very clear. The estimate is $100 PLUS (no upper limit). I wanted to get some idea of what the horn is worth before committing to repair.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

Judging by the serial number, it could be any one of three models, Magma, Imperial, or medalist. Magmas are about $1000, the other 2 are about $600

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I stand corrected.

Reply To Post