What is the best (Best protection) sax case for a Mark VI? Thanks, MRN

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Saxophone Cases

Hiscox make a good one. or they used to.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

hiscox isnt shipping to the us anymore, at least they wernt a little bit ago. anyway, whats wrong with a standard case? Does a $300 case make you sound better than a $50 case? or the action slicker? this just mystifies me.

Reply To Post

1. by axe-essories
        (2 posts)

16 years ago

Hiscox IS shipping to the U.S. again. The distributor can be found here:

Reply To Post

1. by axe-essories
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

Sorry about that crazy URL. axe-essories.com

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

If it's rigid and well constructed and holds your horn securely, without having any contact with the horn's action, yep, in the long run you will sound better and have a slicker action. it's the best designed case I've ever seen. mine was only $150 retail.. but that's a few years back, and in oz.

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

also, it's design means it's compatible with almost every type of saxophone, including a Mk VI.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

sure, there are cheap options out there and no one wants to spend more than they have to. for a while I've been using a pro tec moulded tenor case which holds my vintage Selmer securely, but according to the experience of a few forum members they don't stand up to rough (baggage handler) treatment.

Reply To Post

3. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the information. I have been hearing about Hiscox, Berkeley, and pro tec. It is a new to me horn. It is coming with a pro tec. I was thinking of up grading it if I needed to because I have another tenor that could use a new case. but... maybe it is o.k. as is.

Reply To Post

4. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

The only thing I didn't like about the hiscox is it's a bit awkward to carry around because of it's weird shape. that's why I got a pro tec. speaking of which, mine's holding up OK but I'm pretty careful with it. the stitching looks a little flimsy.

Reply To Post

5. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

it's=its

Reply To Post

6. by MRN2222
          (40 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the info. The Hiscox does look awkward. What about the Berkeley? It looks neat and comes in some great colors... I have a Walt Johnson (sp) for my alto. That was another possibility.

Reply To Post

7. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I used to have a berkeley when I was playing a Mk VI. at the time I also had a serie ii and both seemed to go in OK, but with a berkeley you never really know because the interior is featureless, so you don't know what part of the horn is taking up the load. it was a tough case though and I should have kept it cos they look awesome.

Reply To Post

8. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

for the two altos I've had I just stuck to the old wooden/leather cases they came in. I have a soft gig bag but I would never put a valuable horn in one of them. I just use it for a hand bag, but for a guy.

Reply To Post