Saxophone Forum

by jazzmusicluvr
(3 posts)
16 years ago

David Sanborn

Hello everyone! How are you all doing? Are there any David Sanborn fans here? I am a huge fan of his and cannot wait to spread the word about his new album! Can you believe it’s been 33 years since David stepped onto the music scene?! His new album comes out August 12th called “Here and Gone.” I personally cannot wait till that day – it’s been too long since his last one. If you don’t know who he is, you can check out www.myspace.com/davidsanbornband and listen to his music. Let me know what you think of it! Leslie umgd

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jared31
    (8 posts)

16 years ago

Re: David Sanborn

I've always liked him. He is one of the founders of Smooth Jazz and I think Smooth Jazz is great genre that should be recognized more. Also what do you guys think of Boney James. www.boneyjames.com - click on the link to his Myspac

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
    (547 posts)

16 years ago

I've enjoyed Daves' music since the early 80's. Great sound and great passion. I find it a bit disappointing that so many players try to sound so much like him..but, whatever. He's a great player, and a master at his art. You are going to have people tell you he's not a jazz player..does that really matter? He is a fine sax player

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
      (573 posts)

16 years ago

i've known him and Michael Brecker since the 60's . They are show players with good technique and they know theory. Arturo Sanchez is a show player. When i was young, i thought Sanborn was a monster. When i got older i realized that overwrought technique does not a feeling player make. Sonny Rollins told me what i don't play, is as important as what i play

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

16 years ago

i like that, "what i don't play" good description of what those mecanical/techicnal players seem like at times, leaves a lack of feel in the music.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

soooo, you don't need good technique?

Reply To Post

2. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

i have good technique on my main two instruments. I've played the piano for 52 years, and 49 on saxophone. good technique to me is being to play anything someone hands me, and feel it. If i don't feel it, i don't play it. i know how those Julliard guys play. Jerry Goodman has great technique, but he is redundant. his technique is off the dial!!!

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

3. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

you have good technique... says you... "Jerry Goodman has great technique, but he is redundant. his technique is off the dial!!!" If you listen to people just because they have "good technique"... if you want to listen to repitition, i think Sanborn is a GREAT example of it.

Reply To Post

4. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

well, yes...he has begun to recycle himself abit..it's hard to avoid..seems when you become that famous, the tendency is to play what the people want to hear.. Boots Randolf, etc..Getz is a great example of an evolving player..his later work being vastly different than his earlier stuff..he had pretty good technique, too.

Reply To Post

5. by lo pro
          (19 posts)

16 years ago

I could pass on Sanborn. Don't like his sound.

Reply To Post

6. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

If I recall correctly, Phil Woods was a Julliard guy.....

Reply To Post

7. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

I've always liked Sanborn's playing from earlier in his career. There's some fantastic playing on 'Straight To The Heart'.. honest, musical and accomplished. I like his funky playing from the 70's too. he gets my respect for doing his own thing and creating a new genre.

Reply To Post

8. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

new genre? ornette coleman created a genre parker/dizzy created a genre the cool school created a genre sanborn? well...

Reply To Post

9. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

no, he created a sound that two out of three other alto players seem to be trying to imitate..I guess that's saying something.

Reply To Post

10. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

positive or negative? just kidding, i dont mind his sound, even though i kinda prefer the darker sound- personal preference, just after several songs, his one idea gets old. Its not like his songs are that different, either

Reply To Post

11. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

Sanborn has put out alot of commercial stuff that has a certain sameness about it, but an artist should be judged by his best work, not his worst, imho.

Reply To Post

12. by JZ
          (83 posts)

16 years ago

I have been a big fan of Sanborn since the late 70s. One thing though, I have found a vast difference between his albums and his live concerts. His live stuff certainly makes the published stuff sound commercial, but then it is. Perhaps this is the case with all major players, but don’t get around much. If I can take a girl to a concert when Sanborn comes to town, that’s usually pretty good. The concerts are great, and I like to be able to compare his phrasing, etc. in concert with the albums.

Reply To Post