Saxophone Forum

by jazzmanvt
(4 posts)
16 years ago

ALTO SAX

BEST FOR THE DOLLAR. BETWEEN $200 AND $300 YAS 23 OR VINTAGE SAX OR BUNDY 11. THANKS

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

Re: ALTO SAX

are yas 23's going for under $300 these days?

Reply To Post

1. by brittanythomas
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by brittanythomas
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by joesax
    (10 posts)

16 years ago

i had a bundy II that cost me 250 in nice condition, it is a well built horn. then i sold it and bought a yas 23 for 700 in like new condition, it has better intonation, better tone, much better ergonomics but has softer metal so i need to be extra careful.

Reply To Post

1. by saxjunkie89
      (393 posts)

16 years ago

Personally, I think $2-300 won't get you much quality in the sax world. I'd guess ebay would do this. I'd go with the Bundy II, by the way.

Reply To Post

1. by JBTSAX
        (364 posts)

16 years ago

Some of the vintage saxes are wonderful instruments such as the Conns and Bueschers, but you need to remember that many of them are 60 + years old! If they have not had a mechanical overhaul or restoration they can be very problematic and unreliable to keep in playing condition. For this reason I recommend that if you are on a tight budget that you look for a contemporary student sax such as the Yamaha in your price range. If you did pick up a respectable vintage sax for what you can pay, chances are it would need an additional $600 - $800 in repair before you would have a solid playing instrument. John

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

16 years ago

if the horn has been well-cared for over the years you dont have to dump money into it.

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

I like the Yamahas

Reply To Post