Saxophone Forum

by chiamac
(586 posts)
20 years ago

so what should I teach my 16yo cuz?

ok... so my cusin is 16 and has been playing sax for 3 years now or something. what are the things I should bring up to him? long note stuff? tone? phrasing? scales? where do you start out with a student to help them to the next level? Or what pointers can I give to help him out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: so what should I teach my 16yo cuz?

Without much more information about the kid, I'd give this advice: Listen to a large number of saxophone performers across as many genres as he cares to listen to. He should get a feel for what kind of music he likes and what kind of sound he likes in search of developing his own sax personality. I guess this is what they call 'developing a tonal concept'

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

What are some examples of his limits? Can you record him and send me an .mp3 or something?

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

20 years ago

hmm . . . I would suggest working on how to tongue faster and breath support. Building up the chops and strengthing those lungs! ; ) I agree . . . try different types of music so he'll know what he likes. Good luck, Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

I havent' heard him play for a while... and yes I'll see where he is at first and what he would like to work on, but I'm just looking for ideas and what not that would help him to hte next level of playing.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by Saxman2200
          (64 posts)

20 years ago

Try some Articulation excersises (staccato arpeggios and other stuff) your articulation can never be to good, try some phrasing ecxersises, and have him play all major and minor scales, if he plays right through that stuff, see what he wants to play, everybody is interested in Altissimo so give him some overtone stuff, he probably would be interested in some "slap-tongueing," or circular breathing, if he likes jazz you got to teach him to growl (can't call yourself a jazz saxophonist and not know how to growl). Just show him some more options of things to practise, make sure he's got the general idea, and that's about all you can do for him. The rest is up to him.

Reply To Post