Saxophone Forum

by Jared31
(8 posts)
16 years ago

Smooth Jazz

What does everybody think about Smooth Jazz? I have been listening to it for years and I love it but I want some other people's opinions.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Smooth Jazz

wish they would call it smooth something else because at 97.5 in Philly what they play has very little to do with "jazz" the music is ok and everthing, but, it's not jazz, not even close. one example is they play alot of motown, that's not jazz, it's motown. to me, getz and desmond play smooth jazz. just my opinion

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
      (547 posts)

16 years ago

Man' if you love it..if it works for you..if it touches your heart and moves your soul..then go with it..that's why there are so many different styles..you might want to try to avoid getting caught up in the jazz snobbery and just dig what you dig. If you think it's cool, then it's cool for you..enjoy..it's really just about Love anyway..

Reply To Post

2. by Jared31
      (8 posts)

16 years ago

If you listen to XM 71 they play some good stuff.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

hey kneejerk, desmond played cool, not smooth. personally, smooth isnt my favorite, but ill listen to it

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

16 years ago

so what do you think " smooth" is i am curious now, i know what they play isn't jazz, maybe it's not smooth either? Maybe i should say that the smooth jazz station i listen to and by the way enjoy it, is like this, i just think it's mislabeled by the station. It misleads people and kids who don't know, you know people hear the word jazz and go to a club that is featuring say a be bop combo and when they hear it they get up and leave i have seen this. they were expecting something else not close to what they heard. i don't blame them for not liking it, everbody's entitled to their opinion, they were maybe just misled by the loose use of the word JAZZ have a great weekend

Reply To Post

2. by chalazon
          (547 posts)

16 years ago

y'know, the whole labeling thing is problematical at best..I guess you gotta call it something...what would you call it? Much of the labeling is devised my commercial interests..record companies and radio stations in an attempt to sell their product..I guess ya just gotta live with it

Reply To Post

2. by Jared31
        (8 posts)

16 years ago

Artists may not be Smooth Jazz players but some of them still play that style in a few songs.

Reply To Post

3. by swingstreet
        (315 posts)

16 years ago

Smooth jazz? Elevator jazz. The worst of pop music and jazz combined.

Reply To Post

4. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

kneejerk- you have to remember jazz is a generalization, not a certain style of music. bebop, cool, smooth, swing, free- all styles of jazz

Reply To Post

5. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

ya might want to try to avoid getting caught up in the jazz snobbery and go with what yoou like?love ..if you feel it, it's all good..if you don't, it's some other cat's happiness..well, alright..whatever gets you through the afternoon'..I don't like everything I hear, but that doesn't mean anything other than I don't like it..it's all opinion and judgement.

Reply To Post

6. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

16 years ago

cuber, sorry if it sounds like that it's not what i mean. i think it just as said it's a general term and gives people an idea that that's what "jazz" is and limits them in being open to listen and learn. i like what they play on the smooth station, just wish they would mix in just as much mainstream jazz as motown to balance things a mite, i rarely hear any on 97.5 and when i do it's take 5 done by grover w. not brubeck, great tunes both of them. never in all the years heard a tune by parker, trane, cannonball, getz, again to let people who influnced these new guys they are listening to.

Reply To Post

7. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

i agree. Mulligan had a nice little rant about it in his Age of Steam masterclass. he argued that radio stations should play all kinds of music, not just one genre.

Reply To Post

8. by saxxsymbol
        (217 posts)

16 years ago

Check out pandora.com to customize an online radio station with the music you want to hear. You can choose genres or artists. great stuff.

Reply To Post

9. by saxxsymbol
        (217 posts)

16 years ago

You can tell the station not to play certain songs or artists ever !!!!!

Reply To Post

10. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

16 years ago

i mostly buy and rip/sync to mp3, i have a creative zen 30gb with a set of ultimate ears when not in my car. i either transmit or plug direct. at home i have digital jazz on the cable which give you a choice of jazz or smooth but the smooth station is much better about the mix it's more like "new" jazz or "old" on the cable network rcn. they don't include the motown or r&b the commercial stations do.

Reply To Post

11. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

I came across pandora.com a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the experience for a few months until access to australia was abruptly cut due to some obscure copyright thingy. they're going to send out an email when when I can access their site again.

Reply To Post

12. by jjsax
        (3 posts)

16 years ago

hmm...interesting....musical elitism. Would love to hear you play next to Gerald Albright. My bet...he wins.

Reply To Post

13. by cuber
        (653 posts)

16 years ago

thats not the point, is is? some people dont like smooth jazz, they arent saying the players suck

Reply To Post