Saxophone Forum

by Christian
(2 posts)
16 years ago

finding sheet music

Good morning everyone. I am new to the forum and a new tenor player as well. I would like to know where I should look for sheet music besides the normal sites offering books. I am particularly interested in older music scores- 40-60s, Bebop and Swing. Some titles are; Soulville by Ben Webster, Gene Ammons' When I dream of you, Blues in Maude's Flat, La Rosita, and Easy don't hurt. Maybe someone knows of these or would be willing to point me in the right direction to where i can find them. Although I'm a beginner, I want to actually see my goal in front of me as I progress toward it. Any response would be appreciated. In total I have 20 tunes I want to be my first learned complete pieces. Also, I have them on disc burned and ripped from other cd's If anyone can transcribe them. Like i said, any response back would be welcome, Cheers and Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Tranesyadaddy
    (279 posts)

16 years ago

Re: finding sheet music

have a go at transcribing some of your favorite solos yourself. that's a great way to learn jazz. just ask Charlie Parker. speaking of which, if you like bebop you might consider getting the Charlie Parker Omnibook (there's a Bb version), plus maybe the Jamie Aeberold Parker volume (I think from memory it's vol. 8 ..mine's packed away at the moment)

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
      (279 posts)

16 years ago

vol. 6 according to google..

Reply To Post

1. by Tranesyadaddy
        (279 posts)

16 years ago

some might say Charlie Parker is a bit advanced for a beginner, and they'd be right, but my teacher had me get an Omnibook very early on and I always found Bird's unbridled genius a source of constant inspiration.

Reply To Post

1. by Christian
          (2 posts)

16 years ago

thanks for the lead, Tranesyadaddy. I've been looking at the real books (vol 1 &2) as well as what I've found from Stan Getz. I just didn't want to go overboard with M.A.S. (music acquisition syndrom) right off the bat. I am a recovering "splurger." (until next time). I still believe my logic is right about having the goal at my finger tips from the start, and from what you said, I'm not the first to say "okay, this is how this note looks on paper and it flows into ...." I'm on the right track I'm thinking.

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
          (279 posts)

16 years ago

every jazz musician needs a real book, but if I'm ever obsessed with a particular tune, I see if it's included on an Aebersold play-a-long. that way you can try out your ideas without having to get an ego-maniac drummer, an alcoholic bass player and an unstable pianist in one place at the same time. there are some aebersold volumes specifically for beginning players, with basic harmony and simple fun melodies. the Aebersold site has a complete list with all the songs listed. Hal Leonard publications are excellent too.

Reply To Post