Saxophone Forum

by reedplayer1981
(3 posts)
6 years ago

Another Goodson Bari and Saxgourmet Tenor Review

Ok based on other postings I have seen, I am probably jumping into scalding, boiling water but, what the hell!!! I just got the Saxgourmet tenor Monday. and the Goodson baritone yesterday. I wound up getting the silver plated one as I am a huge fan of silver plated horns. Nothing couldve prepared me for how the tenor played. I have had about 4 Mark 6's one in particular was 105,xxx that just was so loud and powerful that i couldnt use it the groups i played with. I had always wished i kept that horn for playing rock and blues. This horn reminded me of that instrument so much i almost cryed!!! the better part about it is its in tune, and there is so much more complexity in the tone due to the construction techniques. There was a very distinct difference in the tone and resonance of the instrument. The bari is a true work of mechanical art, and plays better than it looks. The tone is uniform to the high F# to the low A. and again in tune!!! The keywork looks so identical to a Selmer but is designed and setup much better then even Selmer can ever do, and the reach is so comfortable, I found myself just flying on this horn. I can further this also by saying that I was able to compare it last nite againist my colleagues Series 2 baritone. This horn is much more focused has a much wider dynamic range, and is voiced more uniform from note to note. The instrument is probably the most versatile, well designed baritone. That is above and beyond anything from the intermediate all the way up to the best professional baritome saxes bar none The thing that even impresses me most about both instruments from the repair aspect, is they play right out of the case. They are really set up well from the factory (I specifically requested them to be shipped w/o Orpheus techs set up) and have alot of features that any repair tech would be relieved to see. Why other manufacturers havent incorporated some of thes design features on their own lines is crazy. They all stand to reason are functional, and not overly complex. Dollar for dollar id have to say each and probably any of Steves horns are the best buys for overall quality, setup, and playing quality. I just cant figure out how Steve has been able to make so much horn for such a great price. I am soo thrilled I immediately called Steve to express my enthusiasm. I can say after playing and repairing almost every brand of saxophone, that these are some MAJOR trend setters for the sax world. I honestly could care less where they are made, If it was made by a 50 cent crackwhore in the streets of Taipei, but is designed right, is voiced properly, and made to a high standard so that i can play music to the best of my ability, well so be it. Steve despite all the hits your taking I just wanna say thank you for designing such great instruments that truly allow someone to make music. My Best Regards, Chad Taylor

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxxsymbol
    (217 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Another Goodson Bari and Saxgourmet Tenor Review

I took my Steve Goodson Bari to my 5 piece rehearsal. We are making a jazz CD and I wanted to try Angel Eyes on Bari. It starts and ends on low A. Came out great. Absolutely unanimous decision to put it on the CD. Dynamic range is huge. And like reedplayer says you can just fly on the horn. Mine is silver too and is commented on by everybody who sees it. The tone keeps it dirt all the way through the range of the horn and has an even response even at the break. I now have the SG alto, the Saxgourmet tenor and the SG bari and couldn't be happier.

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
      (291 posts)

6 years ago

Thanks for your kind remarks, guys! I'm really glad you're both happy. During this brief period of transition, these horns may be hard to find. FEAR NOT! The full line of Saxgourmet and Steve Goodson Model horns, along with some new additional models, will be available again very very soon from me through m Nation of Music retail store and a few selected dealers. We are expecting the first shipment of the new Saxgourmet Super 400 alto and tenor on or about August 15. Orpheus may still have a few pieces on hand, and when they're gone they will no longer be handling any of my designs. All the existing inventory that I know of has been sent to our distributor in Europe, www.stevegoodsonsaxophones.com They had sold completely out! We'll have these great horns again for yor very soon, and at new, lower prices. The lower prices will be possible because my new company is significantly reducing the size of the food chain. The horns will be exactly the same, just some new finish options. My company, owned 100% by Sharon and I, will be the sole and exclusive source for Saxgourmet and Steve Goodson Model horns. Nobody else will be able to get them except through us.

Reply To Post

1. by haduran
        (52 posts)

6 years ago

Having written a "first impressions" Goodson bari review on a thread which wound up going off the deep end a while back I figured I'd follow up after extended ownership. Mechanically the horn has proven flawless; no flux bleeds at the ferules (which often don't show up for quite some time) and things have remained remarkably well in regulation. The pads were well set when received and remain so. The case is still OK though the foam under the fabric is starting to give and allow the horn to develop some play in the case- not a good thing. The included mouthpiece is in the trash- it was poorly finished and just not worth fooling with. I bought this horn to replace an old Buescher True Tone- a fine horn. I miss the Buescher and when recently I had a chance to play my old horn I jumped on it. It still had the low end I loved but was otherwise a massive disappointment. I remembered it as better. Times have moved on an the Goodson is in every way less nostalgic appeal simply a better instrument. I suppose after decades of use I had gotten used to the Buescher. The Goodson required no such adaptation- it just plays and plays well from low A to F#. I actually ocasionally pop out some altissimo on it- something which only Lenny Pickett's more talented brother could have done on the Buescher... The ergonomics are especially noteworthy. A baritone that plays like a tenor under the fingers (though it does indeed weigh like a bari). It looks good, stands up to use, and plays very very well.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

6 years ago

After two more months of onership of both horns I can say I like them both better now. Both are incredibly easy to play through the full range of the horn with even response and incredible sound. I loan the bari out to another player for the big band and she said last week she would highly recommend the Steve Goodson Bari to anyone who would ask. She plays clarinet, bass clariinet and all the saxes. These horns plays as easily as a Yamaha, have better intonation, have the sound complexity of a Selmer and the power of a Keilwerth. I can play softer than ever before and louder than ever before with good tonal quality.

Reply To Post

2. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

5 years ago

A clip of the SG Bari can be heard on my myspace site. The tune"Angel Eyes" was done on my SG Bari. "Chameleon" and "Put it" was on my Saxgourmet Tenor. Warning... I am not a pro, just a weekender having a lot of fun. myspace.com/groovusband/ or search groovusband on myspace if that address is not right.

Reply To Post