Saxophone Forum

by cuber
(653 posts)
6 years ago

Yamaha

a couple days ago, i got the WWBW catalog, and being a yamaha player, i checked the yamahas. To my surprise, pretty much all the yamahas were up $500 anyone know why?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxxsymbol
    (217 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Yamaha

Yes I do.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
      (217 posts)

6 years ago

Just kidding.... The price of raw metals are up as is the price of transportation and everything else and a weak dollar. Nuff said. Be sure to thank your loyal oil man politician this election year if you are happy the way things are.

Reply To Post

2. by JBTSAX
    (364 posts)

6 years ago

Inflation in the U.S., the low exchange rate between the dollar and foreign currencies, higher cost of labor and materials in Japan.

Reply To Post

1. by candyapple
      (16 posts)

6 years ago

Guess i need to check those yani prices!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

6 years ago

going off what saxsymbol said about polotics does anyone else notice that gas prices take a nose dive when an election is coming up? Also, a certain person in the government has oil fields and a couple oil-owning friends. remember the "national reserve" of oil? when are gas prices going to be high enough to let some of that actually be used? the dollar wouldnt be so bad if America actually had an export, instead of relying on other countries to make everything for us. wow, i get off subject rather easily.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

6 years ago

If you go back to 2000 gas was 109 in january, shot up to $1.49 by summer dropped back to $ 1.29 by election time . Went right back to $ 1.49 and climbed steady over$ 2 till next election when it shot up during fundraising season to over $3 then went back to$2.50 before that election. No coincidence for sure. It is crippling the bottom 50% of the economy and now everybody is starting to feel it. There are a lot of folks who like the higher prices because the can speculate. The high prices are helping prop up the stock market too. It is all a house of cards now.

Reply To Post

2. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

6 years ago

Just like anything else. Manufacturing costs and shipping costs are effected by the higher materials costs and gas prices. Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by STEVE GOODSON
          (291 posts)

6 years ago

I believe the actual prices are up on just about all brands these days, not just Yamaha. I notice Selmer, Keilwerth, and Yanagasawa are up as well. Jim is quite correct about shipping costs being a big factor. Currency exchange rates, which are most unfavorable for USA buyers, are another major contributor. Another factor is the demand for higher margins by some of the retailers. The bankruptcy of Woodwind/Brasswind is a clear indicator of just what a slim margin can do to a business. The new owners of WW/BW have instituted some new policies for dealing with their vendors which will result in higher consumer prices. I'm a pretty big fan of the top end Yamaha horns, and think that in the grand scheme of things, they are fairly priced relative to their competetion.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
            (653 posts)

6 years ago

i agree, but a 5 hundred buck increase is kinda alot, kinda surprised me. Its kinda annoying to have WWBW send me guitar fliers with the wwbw catalog. if i wanted to play a guitar, i would. we ask ourselves why the dollar is SO weak, but look around you. What are we building (besides SUVs)? what are we exporting? ................. still dont have anything? exactally, were exporting NOTHING. until this changes, the dollar will continue to decline until were the next Ethiopia

Reply To Post

1. by STEVE GOODSON
              (291 posts)

6 years ago

Yamaha is a very good example of the cureent problem: they recently closed their USA manufacturing facility because costs there were too high. If the USA wants to resolve the balance of payments problem (we import far more than we sell abroad, hence the weak dollar), we must find ways to reduce manufacturing costs to a level that is competative on the world market. I sell as many products in Europe as I do in the USA. Right now, it is far cheaper for Europeans to buy American goods due to the weak dollar. Of course, this means that it is also more expensive for Americans to purchase goods manufactured elsewhere. It's a world market now, and we had better get used to it. Yamaha has moved a significant portion of its manufacturing to China and Indonesia in order to control costs. If they had not done this, the prices you see today would be far higher!

Reply To Post

2. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

6 years ago

that's why I believe in trade tariffs. I'd rather pay a bit more for my socks and potato peelers and be happy in the knowledge that I wasn't sending my country bankrupt.

Reply To Post

3. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

6 years ago

Steve, remember 'world market' is a euphemism for third world living standards.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
              (784 posts)

6 years ago

If any of you guys voted for Bush, you have yourself to blame..................Kelsey and Rosie
              Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by Tranesyadaddy
              (279 posts)

6 years ago

George Bush just does what the World Bank tells him to. that's what you have to do if you want to be president, or for that matter any western head of state. if it's any consolation, Australia's f***ed too.

Reply To Post

6. by kneejerk52
              (397 posts)

6 years ago

anybody that thinks any president has ANY power is a bigger idiot than the people voting thinks they have a choice, you vote for a politician or not, you can't get on a ballot without their support it's just a job like you have, they are "hired" by the "parties" and then do as they are told

Reply To Post

7. by CountSpatula
              (602 posts)

6 years ago

Harsh Kelsey...I like it thought haha :)

Reply To Post AIM

8. by connsaxman_jim
              (2336 posts)

6 years ago

Re: McCain vs. Obama

This is a little off the topic off saxophones, but as we all know, the economy in the United States has suffered tremendously through the Bush administration. The weak American dollar, higher gas/fuel prices, higher materials costs, etc. have raised the prices of everything from saxophones and automobiles to milk and hamburger! Something needs to be done. The country has been in a recession for the past 5-6 years, and some states like Michigan, with the highest unemployment rate in the nation, are facing a depression. With these troubled times, what do you look for in a leader? What credentials do you seek in a president? Have you really taken the time to listen to the candidates' policies and agendas, or have you just jumped on the bandwagon with the candidate your family and friends like best? Here are some of the qualities and qualifications that I look for in a president: Experience, leadership skills Integrity, Values Devotion to Country (Service in the armed forces is a plus) The ability to communicate effectively with the American people and leaders of other nations. The ability to understand and relate to the concerns of the working-class, or middle-class citizens. There are other issues that are important to me as well, like abortion, the 2nd amendment, health care, education, etc. But, I'm not writing to express my views. In these troubled times, I think that we Americans need to pay closer attention to this election. We need to watch the interviews and the debates, and not just the commercials. We need to google the candidates we like to learn more about them and their credentials. One things for sure. Rather McCain/Palin or Obama/Biden are elected president in November, this will be a historic election. Hope this wasn't too off-topic! Thanks, Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!

9. by cuber
              (653 posts)

6 years ago

hopefully with the election of the next president, the economy will rebound. anyone who pays attention to commercials wastes alot of time. nothing is too off topic. well somethings are

Reply To Post

10. by Alreed66
              (8 posts)

5 years ago

I was at a local music superstore this week for a few hours trying out different altos. This was the first time that I had a chance to try out Yamahas current line since it was introduced some 4 or 5 years ago. I played on all the models except the 23. 475=A terrific horn, but overpriced, especially since the store is selling the 62 brand new for just another $450. If they are going to charge $1,800 they should at least have something more like blue steel springs, ribbed construction, some other incentive, or offer a lower price. It is nice that they have the annealed neck of the old 62. The horn played great. 62-While I thought the original 62 was better, still a great horn, but at this price it would have been nice if they had offered real mother of pearl keys. 82 Z-The horn was like someone took a 62 and took the sheet off of the bell that was muting the sound and magnified it. This horn really wails. If I had to choose a Yamaha in the line-up this would be the one. 875-EX-I like it better than the original 875, and like it better than the Selmer Series II, and it has more to offer for the money.

Reply To Post