Saxophone Forum

by saxxsymbol
(217 posts)
16 years ago

FL Ultimate ligature review

I have been using some version of rovner ligs for some time. I have used the dark, light and eddie daniels models. I gave up the dark some time ago and used light on tenor with a JJ DV 7. On alto I used the eddie daniels. I recently purchased a new saxgourmet tenor that I really dig the sound of. The only problem I have had is with altissimo. I switched from yamaha and the same fingering with the same throat position just wasn't working. Even A 3 was a struggle. I had to add fingers on the right hand to pop it out.I decided I would have to practice alt. a lot with this new horn and left it at that. I ordered ths FLK Ultimate lig here at saxquest because I thought it looked a lot better than my rovners on my setups. I have shiny new horns and like them pretty. I never bought into the hype, on ligs other than a slightly darker or lighter sound. Of course I had only tried the OEM standard 2 screw and rovner type ligs. To my astonishment when I first played this new lig with the same reed and mouthpiece I usually use on tenor I noticed a more open, louder sound with the same core I was used to. The bell notes were a little easier too. On a fast run it seemed a little cleaner. I definitely noticed that the mouthpiece vibrates more in my mouth. Still wasn't sure if I was just feeling it louder due to more vibrations or if it's actually louder. What shocked me was when I went to try A 3. It popped right out clean and pretty. I tried it without right hand fingers, again, perfect. I tried my other old alt. fingerings, perfect. I went right up the chromatic scale to C4. Perfect. All my old fingerings work. I still can't believe it. Don't know how to explain it. But it makes it worth it's weight in gold to me. Will save me tons of altissimo practice and my wife will be pleased about that. I use the S Gold on alto and tenor for the DV's. They fit perfect and stay in position so it is really easy to take reeds on and off and your lig is not sliding around and scratching your mouthpiece. Btw, this lig does look great too.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

16 years ago

Re: FL Ultimate ligature review

I have had two Rovner ligatures that came with a Guardala King mouthpiece and a Guardala MBll Mouthpiece. I couldn't get either ligature to work easily with the mouthpieces they came with. I gave them both away. Then I bought the Ultimate ligature. The Ultimate ligature works OK but the reed protector dosen't potect the reed very well. I ended up using the ligature that came with a Dukoff mouthpiece I had from long before. I think some of the ligatures they are selling are just gimmics.............Kelsey and Rosie
    Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by saxxsymbol
      (217 posts)

16 years ago

I have used the dukoff ligature before and liked it. The reed protectoron the FL works best if you leave on the clear tubing to help the fit. You can use thicker tubing if it is still loose. I bought one of these for alto as well. My altissimo is stronger and clearer with the FL on both horns and the mouthpiece definitely vibrates more than with the rovners.

Reply To Post

2. by susanyost32
      (6 posts)

16 years ago

definitly not a gimmic, the ligatures sound great and give good response. the cap is terrible. if you feel like going even further with it Theo Wanne is selling replacement center screws so you can use his better preasure plates with the FL ligatures. The only ligatures i have found that sound as good or better and don't need replacing with one of these is early florida otto link ligatures or lawton ligatures. These ligatures work way better for big rubber mouthpieces that anything i have ever tried. add Thoe Wanne silver preasure plate to one for a big rubber mouthpiece and you have another level of huge improvement in both response and tone.

Reply To Post

1. by saxxsymbol
        (217 posts)

16 years ago

If you put the right size rubber tubing over the arms on the cap it will fit and function right.

Reply To Post

1. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

for tenor i use a Link New York, Link Florida. The caps were stepped on or lost years ago. after a set, i always take the reed off, wipe it on my pants, and put it back it in the box. if my reed gets damaged i put another one on. i hand pick my reeds, and blow through the box. l mark'em with a ball point pen.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I have to double on flute and piano as well as the saxes. I also sing, which means I need a way to protect my reeds while on the horn, also keep them damp. Jamterry, be careful not to cut your pants on your reeds. Ha!............Kelsey and Rosie
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

I have to play alto, tenor, bari and percussion sometimes. I have been using fibracell reeds for a couple of years now. They are always ready to play, sound great and last forever. Look, sound and feel just like cane. Better value and performance. It takes a little experimenting to get the right hardness for the sound you want. Too soft and it will sound buzzy, too firm and it will be darker with less harmonics. Every reed plays the same right out of the box .And no, I am not being compensated for this opinion.

Reply To Post

4. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

16 years ago

I've tried to like fibracell but I just can't stand the way I sound when useing them. I prefer Rico Jazz 2m reeds..........Kelsey
          Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

5. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

16 years ago

Have you tired the newer premium reeds that use the number system instead of letters ? I did not like the older ones. Rico jazz are nice reeds.

Reply To Post

6. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Hey Kelsey, i guess you might say my reeds are the cutting edge :) Terry

7. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Does anyone remember when there was only one Vandoren, in a magenta box with a gold label? i use Vandoren traditional 21/2

8. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

Does anyone remember when there was only one Vandoren, in a magenta box with a gold label? i use Vandoren traditional 21/2

9. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

10. by jamterry
          (573 posts)

16 years ago

remember when there was one Vandoren in a magenta and gold box. i still use Vandoren traditional. My horns are old (1966), and they need Vandoren traditional reeds 2 1/2 i remember when those horns were new, which means i'm old :). i play through the boxes until i get 5 good tenor. alto, and soprano each.

11. by saxxsymbol
          (217 posts)

15 years ago

Update on my Ultimate ligature experiences. I recently purchased a Vespro tenor as a backup and practice horn. Something I can leave out on the stand or take to work. Horn played great with stock mouthpiece but I like metal. I put on my DV with my normal reed and Ultimate ligature and was getting a very buzzy sound I have heard others describe with DV's. Very irritating. Switched reeds, same thing. I pulled out my backup lig, a rovner light, on a whim , and the horn played and sounded perfect. No buzz. Sounds similar to the saxgourmet with the Fl ligature, but not as complex. Altissimo was not affected. It seems weird that two horns would react so differently to two different ligatures. Everything else is the same, player, reed . I would not have believed it would make that much difference. I am assuming the student Vespro is made a little brighter, like the 23, to help students project more. BTW, the Vespro was a steal from Noteworthy. Really unbelievable price. Intonation as good as it gets. The only thing student about the horn besides price, is the keywork is set for smaller hands. Definately a keeper backup/practice horn for me and my daughters future first tenor sax.

Reply To Post