Saxophone Forum

by selmersaxman
(13 posts)
20 years ago

Conn C Melody Sax

I have a Conn C Melody Saxophone, serial #70,000 It's not Gold Laquer, and it's not the usual satin silver plate, but it seems like it is chrome. I'm not really sure. Could it be silver laquer? Or were there horns made with chrome plate? The whole horn is the same shine as the micro-tuner on the neck....I'm really interested in finding out more on THIS horn. It has the straight neck too. It's unique and beautiful.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by selmersaxman
    (13 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Conn C Melody Sax

I usually see the satin silver finished Conn C Melodys, would that made the Nickel finished horns rare?

Reply To Post

2. by [email protected]
    (18 posts)

20 years ago

it's most likely a nikel-plate finish. This was Conn's lowest-priced finish at that time. Lacquer was not introduceed as a sax finish until, I believe, the late chu berry/early M-series conn horns (~250,000 serial range).

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

20 years ago

Actually nickel plate was NOT the lowest priced finish Conn Offered prior to the introduction of Lacquer. The price structure started with bare brass (Most common), Nickel Silver, Silver Plate, Gold Plate. You are correct about the approximate time frame regarding the availabilty of a lacquer finish, however. Horns from the earlier vintage that appear today with a lacquer finish have been lacquered later in life, most commonly by the factory during an overhaul.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

[.. yes you are right.. but wouldn't bare brass be unfinished, making nickel plate the cheapest finish?] no.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by [email protected]
        (18 posts)

20 years ago

so the bare brass horns in fact had some kind of finish on them?

Reply To Post

3. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

wouldn't bare brass be a finish option? So what if it's not gold, silver, lacquer, or something, it's left bare for a reason. That reason is because the client or company wanted to leave that option open for a cheap (here it comes) finish. Actually (if you really want to get picky) the oxidation that comes to bare brass is indeed a finish. In my art metal classes we have a number of "finishes" we can give something. They range from a virgin surface, brushed, polish (high and low), and patina. All are considered a finish. Sometimes we want the metal to age naturally; sometimes we want to give it colors or patterns. it all depends what look (or price) we are going for. so to re-cap, [so the bare brass horns in fact had some kind of finish on them?] Yes, it will age and that aging will give it a finish. Or you could say that "bare brass" was a finish option =) (-Manners on 9/2/2004 6:48:44 PM.) (-Manners on 9/2/2004 6:48:44 PM. on 9/2/2004 6:49:21 PM.)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

4. by saxismyaxe
        (575 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, Burnished Bare Brass is indeed a finish option listed on period price sheets from Conn C. 1920's. The horn must be polished to a "Finish" even in this bare brass state, and is priced accordingly. Cheers.

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

20 years ago

Maybe GM can start marketing unpainted cars so they develop "a nice patina" as they age.

Reply To Post

6. by [email protected]
        (18 posts)

20 years ago

Chiamac, Your condescending and egotistical tone is totally unwelcome and unpleasant. I know that horns were available in bare brass. ok? My idea of "finish" is that it is something (lacquer, plating) that is added to a naked (ie: bare brass) horn. this is what I'm talking about: www.saxgourmet.com/conn_finishes.htm bare brass is not listed here as a "finish"

Reply To Post

7. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

Nice one Saxmaniac. The sad thing is us Americans would most likely go for it. Nylons: Bare Brass was indeed polished as someone else said earlier, so there's a finish. Also the patina that develops. Wait......who gives a care? It was an option. Ok? Does that make you happy? Save yourself a lot of time a pain, and don't be offended by anything said on this board, it can get a little edgy. Just try to deal with it, or go to SOTW or somwhere, where everyone is just as polite as can be : )

Reply To Post

8. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

[Your condescending and egotistical tone is totally unwelcome and unpleasant. ] ok. [I know that horns were available in bare brass. ok?] ok. That was never really a issue here. [My idea of "finish" is that it is something (lacquer, plating) that is added to a naked (ie: bare brass) horn. ] I know, but does that mean that it can't be called a "finish" or is "your idea" the final word on this matter? [this is what I'm talking about: www.saxgourmet.com/conn_finishes.htm bare brass is not listed here as a "finish" ] ok... so it's a advertisement for conn horns back in the day. could you still get a sax in bare metal at that time? the real question is what does "finish" mean. My view (and one that's shared by others) is a finish is the state of the horn/piece/car/whatever when it's declared "done" and sold. Meaning it's what the customer wanted and what the company/artist had in mind. "unfinished" is a finish, it's just not finished as far as a high polish, or gold plating.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

9. by Sax Mom
        (964 posts)

20 years ago

The link you included has a "Finish 000 'The Conn Artist'" that is not described other than to say "This instrument is furnished (that means provided, not finished) only on special orders, and prices will be quoted upon request." How you you know that that one isn't merely a polished "naked" brass?

Reply To Post

10. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

hahaha that would be "rust" and yes it oranments a lot of cars up here. don't know if I would want it on mine, but differnt people have differnt tastes. oh and yes, on some sculpture "rust" is considered a finish... I'm serious.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

11. by Spike
        (248 posts)

20 years ago

haha! wild! i'd love a bare finish on my car, if it were copper or brass. The statue of liberty is very nice looking. And let's not forget that irom ? copper and steel ? brass. And hey, i'd consider my alto to have a finish. Kind of a mix of laquer, bare brass, and oxodized brass. It's bea-u-ti-full! ^_^ I love rust sculptures. very artistic. I don't suppose anyone here's been to the louisiana modern art museum in humlebœk denmark? It's flippin awesome. They have this cool feild of monoliths.

Reply To Post