Saxophone Forum

by MichelleSax
(1 post)
16 years ago

Hi all!

Hello! Well, I'm 20 years old and have been playing the saxophone for about 8 years. I was first chair in high school, and made All-Region First band my junior and senior years (2nd chair as a sr.) I am currently trying to get my lip back into shape so I can attend college for a BME in instrumental performance. However, I am still using a beginner YAS-23, so I'm looking into purchasing a professional horn. I hope to learn a lot from everyone here, and maybe provide a bit of my own experience and information as needed. Looks like a great site!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by connsaxman_jim
    (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Hi all!

Hi Michelle, Because you are familiar with the YAS 23, I would suggest that you try a YAS 62 Series II alto. This is the intermediate-pro model horn. The ergonomics are similar to the YAS-23, although the YAS 62 has a few additional features, including a hi F# key. Best of all, it won't break the bank. Try a Selmer Reference 54 or a Series III, although they are considerably more expensive. If you are pursuing a BME, I would recommend that you stick with either Yamaha or Selmer. Most instructors tend to be somewhat biased towards Yamaha and Selmer. Practice your scales. Not only will this help you to get your lip and your embrochure back into shape, knowing them fluently will make things so much easier! Good luck! Jim

Reply To Post Yahoo!