Saxophone Forum

by Sax Mom
(964 posts)
20 years ago

Info on a couple of Conn's

Hi, I'm new to this forum today, and have enjoyed reading posts. I play saxophone whenever I can, and my daughter has been playing in school for three years. I'd like to know what anyone can tell me about my old saxophones, both Conn. Alto: 6M PA APP'D FOR E SN 337 40 7 L Tenor: 16 M C26754 Thanks L

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Info on a couple of Conn's

on the 6m, is the s/n borken up like that? does it look like numbers may have possibly been worn off? whether they are or not, I would say it is from somewhere aorund 49 or 50. it is an excellent horn, bird played one for a bit. the 16m is a student model from about 1963 The 16m is from around 63 or 64

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
      (964 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, the SN is broken up like that, but does not say SN. It does not appear as if any numbers have worn off, because the ones there are fairly deep, and the lacquer there is undamaged.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

hmm, that weird, I have never seen one like that. I asked because, theifs often grind of parts or all of the s/n and sell them to unsuspecting buyers.

Reply To Post

1. by Sax Mom
          (964 posts)

20 years ago

Actually, all the numbers are kind of out of line, like they put each number on individually, rather than all at once. I just assumed they would all be like that. I believe there are only supposed to be six digits. I saw another 6M for sale on the vintage page, and the horn looks very similar. The only differences I could see from the photos on the page (other than lacquer) were the thumb hook, the strap ring, and the micro tuner. My thumb hook is smaller, the ring is U-shaped rather than circular, and the micro-tuner on mine is bulkier. I bought it in about 1976 used from another student who was no longer in band in a small North Dakota town. Unless they had gotten it by ill means, it would had to have been long ago, but I will study the lacquer to see if there is any evidence of a cover-up. I wouldn't be happy if it had been stolen, even if long ago. Thanks for your interest and your help.

Reply To Post