Saxophone Forum

by cbra77
(1 post)
16 years ago

Help with Buying Son's first Sax

Hello everyone out there. I am considering buying my 11 year old his first sax. He started playing two years ago. What would you recommend at this age?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Altonian11
    (39 posts)

16 years ago

Re: Help with Buying Son's first Sax

hey, I've been playing saxophone for 3 years now and theres only one brand that I trust and that's Yamaha. Without a doubt the best saxophone brand when it comes to students. Is your son an alto, tenor, or baritone saxophone player?

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

16 years ago

YAS 23 @altonian11- have you ever seen an 11yr old play a bari?

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

16 years ago

I agree, Yamaha is a great sax for a beginner. They're easy to play, and they hold up very well. You can't go wrong with Yamaha. There are many new saxophone brands. Some are decent horns, some are not so good. The Yamaha YAS-23 is hands down the most popular beginner sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

16 years ago

Something I forgot to add to my post. I would highly recommend a few private lessons to get your son started. They can help him work on the basics; embrochure, fingerings, etc. to prepare him for school band. He'll get the individual attention that he may not get from the school band director. Ask the instructor, or school band director if a lessor-known brand meets their approval.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

2. by Altonian11
          (39 posts)

16 years ago

No, i don't believe I've seen an 11 year old play bari, but if I do, i'll pay him for all his troubles, poor kid.

Reply To Post