Saxophone Forum

by mar2rafn
(2 posts)
20 years ago

teeth

I am a weekend semipro sax/flutist, novice kaval player, beginner clarinetist and lapsed trumpeter. A couple of years ago I developed bite problems, chipped front teeth, eventually underwent a reconstruction entailing orthodontia and 8 (4 top 4 bottom) incisor veneer/crowns. Fine for 8 months, then chipped 2 of the veneers and face replacement of them and a 3rd veneer with microscopic crack. I play alto with Brilhart 3* mouthpiece. Years ago white patch developed grooves; I learned to relax jaw in embouchure and patched plastic with the little stick-on pads sold for the purpose. I play mostly klezmer and balkan using Rico 1.5 reeds (when I played rock, jazz, r&b years back I used no. 3s) Any similar experiences, thoughts, expertise, solutions, other info would be appreciated - from a first-time poster.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mar2rafn
    (2 posts)

20 years ago

Re: teeth

Followup remarks: 1. I suspect playing may be cause of original problems and recent damage; not clear on any other possible causes. 2. I'd like to arrest this and prevent it in the future: protect my teeth!

Reply To Post

2. by mandoman
    (8 posts)

20 years ago

Re: teeth

hm, well i cant give you any advice but im only sixteen and have to have a similiar procedure, i was born without enamel on my teeth so they are starting to chip little by little and i have to have veneers put on, so just letting ya know your not the only one having to go threw that and play the sax. goodluck

Reply To Post