Saxophone Forum

by tecraig
(2 posts)
16 years ago

need alto sax for son asap

don't have much cash and won't rent again (could have just bought for what went paid in rental fees and the horn was still over $1000 bucks to purchase what a ripoff for students in lower grades. Is Suzuki or Simba ok for kids? will these fall apart? and what does fall apart actually mean? I purchased a student coronet (bach) for my daughter and no problems.

[Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by newreedsyndrome
    (343 posts)

16 years ago

Re: need alto sax for son asap

Suzuki or Simba will not only fall apart (keys and pads will literally come off), but most repair shops cant even touch them. Theres a post called "Jim's List of approved saxophones" in the highschool sax forum. find something on there that you can afford. Buying used is better than buying ebay crap. I would recommend a Yamaha. Bach is a student horn that selmer makes and is a perfectly good student instrument. (btw, you mean cornet, not coronet. a coronet is a spear. a cornet is like a trumpet)

1. by tecraig
      (2 posts)

16 years ago

Thanks for the info regarding my question and the english lesson. I know how to spell just moving fast and of course I know what a cornet is and coronet is actually a ornamental headdress, a small crown less than that of a king/queen. I will stay away from those cheap names.

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

16 years ago

I have a coronet alto sax I'll sell ya for fifty bucks''...wait a minute..i just had a buyer.

1. by MRFIXIT
          (19 posts)

16 years ago

Spell it this way, Cornett, and you another instrument entirely. See what your band teacher says when your child shows up with an antique like this for pep band! en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornett