Saxophone Forum

by krzykrn88
(27 posts)
6 years ago

oleg metal mouthpiece.

I have been recently gifted an oleg metal soprano mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is great, but it is too fat to fit through the most ligatures. besides the olegature(because oleg makes both -_-), I haven't found any ligature that fits my mouthpiece. I personally think olegature for 90 dollars is a ripoff, having bought several for my alto and clarinet for less. They are spectacular ligatures, but I just want to look for cheaper alternatives if given a chance. Can anyone give me the suggestion? thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Brentcpt
    (4 posts)

6 years ago

Re: oleg metal mouthpiece.

This may sound too simple, but have you tried an alto, or even a tenor lig..... I have a similar problem with my brancher tenor piece. I often have to buy soprano ligatures because of the slim design.

Reply To Post

1. by krzykrn88
      (27 posts)

6 years ago

didnt even think of that. a day after this post, i got francois ultimate n fell in love w. it

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
        (653 posts)

6 years ago

thats all that really matters, isnt it?

Reply To Post

1. by krzykrn88
          (27 posts)

6 years ago

ahhaha. i guess...I thought it will take a long time before i find the ideal ligature that fits and plays well. i just got lucky when some1 just lemme borrow his ultimate, and then just sold it to me for 30 bucks or so.

Reply To Post

2. by cuber
          (653 posts)

6 years ago

the best things come from luck, dont they? for the lig i use on my metal otto link, they sent the wrong model. got a sop. sax lig instead of a clarinet lig. fits/works better than the clarinet lig.

Reply To Post

3. by krzykrn88
          (27 posts)

6 years ago

seriously. I remember when i got my morgan excalibur for alto. it did not take me while to notice that stuff was small enough to fit clarinet ligs, but damn! i couldnt find the right ligature that serves the mouthpiece justice. rovner, though recommended by morgan, just function, and kill morgan characteristics, optimum made it sound like a tin can, and a bonade had a good sound, but didnt have the vibe that made me say eureka!. i found olegature for 35 bucks, and I am a happy man. O ya, it then took me a long time until i found a random cap that fits. Speaking of luck, I found that clarinet reeds have the same width as soprano sax, so these reeds can be interchanged and vice versa. havent tried any clarinet reeds on a soprano mouthpiece, but as long as you cope with shortness of the reed, vandoren zz soprano sax 3.5 actually gave me a better reed set up for my clarinet. o ya, the francois smart cap also fit my clarinet mouthpiece, while it really didnt fit my soprano piece. considering clarinet ligs olegature, i needed a cap that fit.=P sorry if these are too long. I just felt like spitting these out. being overswamped with all my college engineering drama, sax playing and sax talking provides a good stress relief.

Reply To Post