Saxophone Forum

by so_saxy_it_hurts
(5 posts)
6 years ago

Solo on Sunny Side of the Street

Can somebody tell me 100% who takes the first solo on "On the Sunny Side of the Street" off the album Sonny Side Up? Is it Rollins or Stitt? I have read various opinions and it seems to be split 50/50 as to who takes the first one. Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by soulkat9
    (11 posts)

6 years ago

Re: Solo on Sunny Side of the Street

Don't know sorry

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

6 years ago

what does it matter??

Reply To Post

1. by so_saxy_it_hurts
      (5 posts)

6 years ago

It doesn't, specifically. I like the solo, transcribed it and play it a lot, but I'd just like to know who's it was to begin with. Call it curiosity.

Reply To Post

1. by MarkLavelle
        (300 posts)

6 years ago

You've heard about what curiosity did to the cat, haven't you? ;-)

Reply To Post

2. by kneejerk52
      (397 posts)

6 years ago

ok here's my take, on "Live at the Hi Hat" listen to Stitt do "Body and soul" then listen to Rollins on Celebrating Sonny do lover man, Stitt seems to be smoother attacks and Rollins is much harder on his attacks. just my opinion it's Stitt on the first solo based on this. over all i don't care, but the eternal triangle is one great battle can't stop smiling when i hear it. have a nice day.

Reply To Post

3. by kelsey
      (801 posts)

6 years ago

Surely you can tell the difference between a tenor player and an alto player? Sonny Rollins plays tenor, Sonny Stitt plays mostly alto. Stitt plays like Bird on steriods, Rollins plays with imagination and humor and is undoubtedly the greatest living tenor player. A t least you are listening to two great players. Also, usually, the leader on the session plays first. It's probably Rollins.......Kelsey
      Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by kneejerk52
        (397 posts)

6 years ago

the leader is dizzy, they are both playing tenor on this song

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
          (397 posts)

6 years ago

sorry the both play tenor on the all song on this disc, according to the credit on the leaflet

Reply To Post

1. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

6 years ago

oh yea, surely i can tell the difference, thank you

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
            (801 posts)

6 years ago

I just listened to Sonny Side. It's a very early recording and both Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt were both really showing the influences of bird . I can see where it was hard to tell the difference. My guess is that the first tenor solo was Rollins, although he sounds like bird playing tenor. (as he did as a young man) Second solo of course the session leader Diz on trumpet, and then Sonny Stitt playing tenor. Stitt dosen't sound very comfortable on tenor. It was really fun listening to Diz sing. I had the great honor of playing with Diz a few years ago in Jacksonville Florida. He is one of my all time heros...........Kelsey
            Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

3. by Tranesyadaddy
            (279 posts)

6 years ago

I can't find my CD but if you put 'ken moran' into the youtube search engine the dude's there playing Stitt's transcribed solo. and making a pretty good fist of it too if I don't say so myself.

Reply To Post

4. by Tranesyadaddy
            (279 posts)

6 years ago

I can't find my CD but if you put 'ken moran' into the youtube search engine the dude's there playing Stitt's transcribed solo. and making a pretty good fist of it too if I don't say so myself.

Reply To Post

5. by Tranesyadaddy
            (279 posts)

6 years ago

who said I always double post?

Reply To Post

6. by fugly
            (1 post)

6 years ago

I have transcribed a huge amount of Sonny Rollins from '55 to '61 and also some of his stuff just prior to '55 with Miles and his solo album The Stopper. I agree early on he did sound like a bird disciple on tenor but this recording is Dec '57 and Rollins' individual style is well and truly apparent by now. The harder attack with his tongue at times, the staccato quaver pickup to some phrases, and the use of time delay in some phrases. These are all present in the second tenor solo. Stitt was a bopper through and through whether he had just moved to tenor or not his rhythmical phrasing would still be the same or at the least similar. The first solo has very articulate double time passages throughout (a major characteristic of stitt) and there is no delaying of time throughout any phrase (a typical bopper). They both used the same mouthpiece on this recording, although that does not mean they will sound the same but it does give them similar sound attributes. It is my strong opinion that the first solo is Stitt, nevertheless both solos sound great.

Reply To Post

7. by solo
            (4 posts)

6 years ago

it's funny, i thought i could tell sonny rollins with my ears closed. after going back and listening to this track i wasn't really sure. they both sound very similiar. but that eternal triangle. amazing. i have literally smacked myself in the head while driving down the road listening to that tune.

Reply To Post

8. by kneejerk52
            (397 posts)

6 years ago

thanks man you made me laugh with that "smacked myself" stuff, mainly cause i have to agree it's hard to believe somebody is that good.

Reply To Post