Saxophone Forum

by bangalee
(2 posts)
5 years ago

best alto sax for son

Hi, My son has been in the band for about 5years. It is time to upgrade his alto sax. Whats most important to him is that he can play the low keys easier. I have been looking at different ones and have found three that I am interested in. 1 is a Glen Edwards edition. 2 is a Ellasax custom and the last one is a Selmer AS500 Alto Saxophone Outfit. They all advertise that they can create a low mellow sound. Has anyone ever played any of these instruments. He has try outs nov 12th for honors band and need to get it by then..so if anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kneejerk52
    (397 posts)

5 years ago

Re: best alto sax for son

first tell us what he's playing now, what kind of mpc, reed second, has the horn he plays now ever been adjusted by a pro tech?, there might not be anything wrong with the one he has. one of my friends son's band teacher told him his vintage 6m was no good, just an example.

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

5 years ago

never heard of glen edwards. i assume its some cheap chinese thing. i could be wrong Ellasax i assume is kinda like the previous horn. wouldnt spend money on them. (though i have heard of ellasax (even though it was from some idiot on here trying to sell them)) The selmer is interesting. im not too familiar with it. after some quick research, is the USA selmer, which isnt a good thing (even though out of the three its what id probably go with) id try a yamaha YAS 475. works well,

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

5 years ago

the yamaha 62's are very nice..a used super action 80 in good condition is a good bet. the newer cannonballs are worth looking into..some of the older keilwerth or couf horns can be nice, tho' the intonation can be a bit dicey..never was too impressed with the selmer usa's..not very well put together..i've seen some selmer mk VII alto's that were very nice for a very good price..good luck in your search

Reply To Post

2. by bangalee
      (2 posts)

5 years ago

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the advise...after much research I have decided to go with a swing street pro markX. Mainly for its durablity and 3 year warrenty...it is also in my price range...which is a Big plus. Anyway thanks again everyone has been really helpful

Reply To Post