Saxophone Forum

by jamminCB
(6 posts)
15 years ago

***?????COLLEGE AUDITIONS!!!!!******

I am a senior in high school and I recently applied for five music universities. I am majoring in jazz so a plan on using to contrasting jazz tunes in my Auditions. Does anyone know what the judges want to here, or some good, solid tunes to play?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Peepin728
    (17 posts)

15 years ago

Re: ***?????COLLEGE AUDITIONS!!!!!******

Well each school may or may not have certain requirements, but if you're simply looking for some contrasting tunes to play here would be a few- Straight up 4/4 swing standards----All The Things You Are, Out of Nowhere, Joy Spring, I've Never Been In Love Before, Bye Bye Blackbird, Four, Confirmation, There Will Never Be Another You, 7 Steps to Heaven Ballads--- Central Park West, Lush Life, My Funny Valentine, The Nearness of You, Peace, My One and Only Love, Too Young to Go Steady, When I Fall In Love Trane tunes...professors love to hear these----Giant Steps, 26-2, Countdown, Moment's Notice, Lazy Bird, Fifth House Latin'ish'---Recorda Me, Invitation, Caravan, A Night in Tunisia, On Green Dolphin Street, Flamingo Now these are just a few off the top of my head, but the best thing would be to listen to your favorite records and pick songs off of them. Also--don't get in the trap of simply playing these tunes as they were originally intended. Who says you can't turn Giant Steps into a slow bossa? What about All the Things You Are in 7? They love to see creativity and originality, so don't feel like you have to be strapped down and forced to play a song a certain way. Have fun and good luck!

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
      (653 posts)

15 years ago

if you wanted something a little different, try take five i wouldnt listen to me though. i dont know jack squat.

Reply To Post

1. by chalazon
        (547 posts)

15 years ago

seems to me you know plenty, Cube. I would listen to you. You really are very knowledgeable and your advice to your friend is right on. Keep up the good work, spread the word, and keep the faith. Stay cool...

Reply To Post

1. by cuber
          (653 posts)

15 years ago

hm, i wouldnt listen to myself, but others will honestly, thats a huge compliment coming from you

Reply To Post

2. by jdcsax
        (14 posts)

15 years ago

They usually would like to hear you play a few different styles. -Blues( Billie's Bounce is a good choice) -Standard( There will Never Be Another You, All The Things You Are) -Ballad or Latin(For Latin, Anything By Jobim, and for Ballads, Some Other Time is very nice) Good luck!!!

Reply To Post

1. by Saxygirl
          (6 posts)

15 years ago

You seem to know a lot and have experienced auditions and know alot about saxophones, do u think u can help me. I'm looking toward getting credits for my playing, is that possible.... if so, how does it work?

Reply To Post

1. by jdcsax
            (14 posts)

15 years ago

What kind of credits are you talking about?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxygirl
              (6 posts)

15 years ago

High school credits that can be used towards university or collage... ^^

Reply To Post